Stove likes 350

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisnnik

Nov 6, 2007
Southern NH
My Englander 13-NC seems to love to burn around 350 - 375, and not higher. Is it OK to burn here as far as the state of the chimney goes? I know it is "in the burn zone", but it seems people on the forums regularly burn much higher. As far as comfort goes - the stove does fine at those temps, but I want to worry about the chimney as little as possible. Thanks for all input ...

Is that the temperature of the stove top or is that a reading from a magnetic thermometer on the stove pipe? Is there smoke coming out of the chimney?

Not much of anything coming out of the chimney that I can see, but it is getting dark, and starting to snow to boot. It appears the secondary burn at the top is doing its thing.

I'd like to also know where you're grabbing that temperature at, and is the blower running? Your stove top should be a good bit higher than that. I don't record stove top temperatures on my stove, but I take flue gas measurements and usually am around 800 deg F at a high burn (sometimes up to 1000 deg F), and around 450-500 on a low burn. I KNOW the stove top is above 350 deg F though, considering the stack gases are that high about 3 feet from the stove top.

I have a Rutland gauge at 18" up on the stovepipe? Is this wrong? That is what a few area folks told me to do.

You are fine. A stack surface temp of 350 is roughly indicative of an internal flue gas temp of 700. Corie territory on his 13 and about where my little Jotul registers when the stove top is at 450 to 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.