stove malfunction......reason?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HEMI

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2009
connecticut
so i wake up this morning to my stove window completely black (cant even see the fire), so i open up the door and pellets are just being fed into the pot and its overflowing, mostly non burned and it looked as if it was starving for air. first thing i did was disconnect the OAK and instantly the stove starts to burn as it should so i shut it down, do a complete cleaning and restart without the OAK connected......the OAK line is free of obstruction but and a little weary of reconnecting.....any suggestions of why this happened and should i just leave the OAK disconnected the rest of season?

HEMI said:
so i wake up this morning to my stove window completely black (cant even see the fire), so i open up the door and pellets are just being fed into the pot and its overflowing, mostly non burned and it looked as if it was starving for air. first thing i did was disconnect the OAK and instantly the stove starts to burn as it should so i shut it down, do a complete cleaning and restart without the OAK connected......the OAK line is free of obstruction but and a little weary of reconnecting.....any suggestions of why this happened and should i just leave the OAK disconnected the rest of season?

Did the screen on the OAK happen to get coating of blowing snow or ice on it?

It only takes a small amount to gum up the works.

SmokeyTheBear said:
HEMI said:

that was my first initial thought because we had such high winds with all that snow, but it was clear

HEMI said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
HEMI said:

that was my first initial thought because we had such high winds with all that snow, but it was clear

I don't know where your OAK terminates in relation to the winds you have been having but like any venting (yes the OAK is also a vent) you have to protect it from the wind. In this case it would be wind blowing across the OAK face.

If the OAK becomes a low air flow device because of wind blowing across it or if it sits in the exhaust stream (I've seen pictures of folks setup that way) you'll be deprived of a decent air source.

Suitable wind breaks and OAK placement can prevent this from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.