Stove manufacturer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when I test this stove in my driveway do I need to connect a piece of pipe or can I just let it vent through the flue outlet on the stove ?

Yes, definitely put about 5-6ft of pipe on it. You can use cheap vent pipe for the outdoor test as long as you're 15 ft away from combustibles. (J/K, but do keep it away from the house and vehicles.)

Ok, 6 feet of pipe it is.

After reading all the posts and looking at many many pictures it's obvious this stove is a "homemade", looks like a copy of the jotul 118. I have looked this thing over for an hour and it appears to me made very well, solid. Welds are done well , no cracks , seems like someone put a lot of time into it. My next step will be to test it out. I plan on painting it which I think would then make it look great. If it passes all my tests is ther any good reason I shouldn't buy and use this stove in my cellar ? The only thing it's missing is a brand name stamped on it. I realize it's not EPA certified but I'm only using it a couple of days a week to take the chill off my cellar and hopefully get some heat to rise upstairs.

I have another option, I looked at a Older lange stove in good shape, the guy wants 175.00 for it, is that a decnet price ?

Jeff

Jeff - the fact of the matter is: non-epa stoves have been used for many more years than EPA cert. stoves have been around. They have been the life blood of a warm home for generations. That being said, most people gravitate towards the EPA stoves because of reduced fuel consumption, reduction in particulate matter and the SAFETY factor. I am not suggesting that the older stoves can't be safe, but I am suggesting that the newer stoves are "safer" for general Joe Public.

It really is your call if you are going to install this stove in your basement. Most regulations don't allow for it, if you are a regulations guy. Most insurance companies don't like them, if you are an insurance guy, but heck, they have been used for lots of years. It is a call, that only you can make.

It probably wouldn't be installed in Jags house, but that is me. If you are comfortable with it, just make it as safe and as solid of an install that you can. And keep a good eye on that stack for any buildup and scrub it down as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.