Stove Novice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow Dog

Nov 11, 2007
Tahoe Ca.
Glad to find Ya'll.
Just bought this house and it has an old Schrader wood stove in the fire place. Being a wood stove novice I have a ton of questions that I'd love to ask you wood burning veterens.
1) Best way to start a good fire in this stove.
2) Should the door be open or closed to acheive the most BTU's?
3) Proper dampner techniques?
4) Good wood selection?
5) What is the proper way to tend a good burning stove.

I better stop, I should take baby steps. But any wisdom handed down would be greatly appreciated and treasured.
Thank you

Have the chimney cleaned and inspected first!!!!

Whoa, what was that $2400 spent on?

WOwzers. Thats a stove price. If the stove is old, whats the cash spent on?

Inspection found cracked flute tiles. So a new liner, access door and chimney cap brought it all up to code. The stove was considered in great shape although a bit old, nothing fancy, considering todays nicer models.

Well you certainly did the right thing and now prepared for a new stove when you are ready. That's a gold plated liner, but you are in gold country right? ;-) The old Schrader is a tough stove. Read up on how to run it right and it will put out good heat.

Welcome Neighbor. Good to see another West coaster here.
Those old Schraders put out some heat but are hard to run. Been so long sense Ive used one I cant even begin to help. It is gonna eat alot of wood though and at the prices Ive heard for a good cord of oak up there are true ( as high as $400 ) once you recover from that $2500 chimney you ought to look into a modern stove and save some on the wood costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.