stove on painted concrete floor danger?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greythorn3

Minister of Fire
Oct 8, 2007
Alaska
wheelordie.com
getting ready to get that install moving on my basement stove, its gonna be directly on concrete, the concrete has been painted, is this considered a combustable surface? should i put a piece of concrete board down over it? or shouldnt i worry about the painted concrete?

Skip

I can't give an authoritative answer but I'm thinking that with concrete underneath it, the paint won't get very hot...

The floor would have to ne a non-constable surface as well, and be within the manufacturers guidelines for clearances. I know the floor doesn't get nearly as warm as the vertical surfaces near the stove but it does have to accept falling stove debris at times such as hot coals and flying embers.

For me the rule would be ...........when in doubt, assume the potential danger, and find a way to avoid it. (The old way of saying that is "better safe than sorry.")

-Soupy1957

The top of my 30 can be 750 degrees and underneath is barely above room temp. It's hotter in front of my stove beyond where hearth protection needs to extend! The paint will not spontaneously burst into flames. My old fisher used to cook the bejeepers (too hot to touch) out of the white painted concrete wall behind it and the paint doesn't look any different there than it does 20 feet away.

pen

I would put a low cost stove board down... something like this picture I found on the internet.... notice it looks like a painted concrete floor..

stove.jpg

I doubt if the paint would actually be a fire hazard but technically it is combustible so you should but a stove board or some other non-combustible covering over it. Think about your fire insurance company trying to deny you a claim because the stove wasn't installed to specs.

Those are Imperial stove boards from Canada and have a Micore center. They're pretty cheap. I got mine at Ace Hardware.

mhrischuk said:
I would put a low cost stove board down...

+1 on the stove board under the stove. I'm going to do this with my Englander install - which will be for now on an unpained concrete floor. In my case, I'm thinking the board will keep the stove from scuffing the concrete and will help reflect heat off the floor vs being absorbed into it like a heat sink.

Good luck,
Bill

I agree on the stove board and I think it helps to make the stove a bit more eye appealing. Otherwise some slate or ceramic tile will work fine. I'd go for the stove board though.

well whats going on it is actually my wood furnace englander, i think i will take your guys advice and put something down for ember protection like concrete board.

Status
Not open for further replies.