Stove on Sale Need To Chose........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DamienBricka

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Stove are going on sale so it is time for me to buy a 2cf and up. I need your help and advice on deciding which one to get.
Please find below the layout of my house including where the chimney is.
The chimney issued that I have have been addressed in a different post. Begreen was kind enough to tell me
what to do to make the house safe.
Other factor to consider. I just talked to the energy auditor and I have a heat load of 25000BTU at -30F.
And my air exchange is at .61 air exchange per hour natural air exchange.

So now I need to find a stove to heat this little house.

Thanks in advance to all of you input and guidance

your layout didnt post

whats your house square footage.

Are you well insulated with good energy efficient windows?

Attachments

• 02042014 009.jpg
    02042014 009.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 02042014a 001.jpg
    02042014a 001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 112
where is the stove going? Basement?

The basement block walls will absorb some of the heat. So a 2.0 to 2.4 cu ft stove will do. A little bigger might come in handy on minus temp winters like this one if we ever have another one.

With insulated basement walls that would be alot of stove for 1300 square feet. The 2.9 cu ft size. A 2.0 cu ft should do you and get you a 9 hour burn time easy.

A 2.4 cu ft stove might be good if you want to over size a bit.

Remember your house is well insulated and have energy efficient windows and the basement walls are insulated.

Last edited:
Go big or go home..lol.
That seems like a good price for that stove. I would do it..but maybe that's just me.

Go big or go home..lol.
That seems like a good price for that stove. I would do it..but maybe that's just me.

What stove are you referring to. They are two in competition a 2.4cf and a 2.9cf

What stove are you referring to. They are two in competition a 2.4cf and a 2.9cf
Go big! 2.9
Like you said you could always put another layer of brick in it..doubt you would need to though.
Just put in less wood on warmer days.
Would be good to have the extra fire power so to speak when needed.

Check out the Buck lineup, I have the model 74. Manufacuted in North Carolina. I heat a single level, 2100sf ranch home just fine with the 74.

Go big! 2.9
Like you said you could always put another layer of brick in it..doubt you would need to though.
Just put in less wood on warmer days.
Would be good to have the extra fire power so to speak when needed.

According to the manufactures websites about these two stoves on sale at Menards right now:

Escape 1800: 2.4 cu ft. firebox http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/wood/escape-1800-black-door-with-blower
FW3000: 2.4 cu ft. firebox http://www.century-heating.com/en/products/wood/wood-stove-on-pedestal-model-fw3000

Same size firebox....

Check out the Buck lineup, I have the model 74. Manufacuted in North Carolina. I heat a single level, 2100sf ranch home just fine with the 74.
Don't think he will be getting the Buck for $650, but I've always subscribed to the philosophy "Go quality or go home." ==c My Dw isn't exactly quality but was a big step up at the time, and was what I could find used. The Dw is ultra-cool though so here it remains. >>
I believe the Century is US-made....

Last edited:
I decided to go with the Drolet Austral

Ah, I shoulda checked your sig. ;em
That big boy will get the job done. I like that 5/16" top, and "ultra-quiet blower." Blower noise would be an important consideration for me.

Yeah, probably won't need it with that big a box but it's nice to have the option.

Yeah, probably won't need it with that big a box but it's nice to have the option.

I agree will keep it in reserve in case I end up needing it in the futur

I was not going to use the blower
well, a blower certainly helps (jmho)....not only get the heat out but with movement of the air. my stove is in the basement so I don't have to listen to the blower but it moves the air 50 feet down to the stairwell, in the time it takes me to put on a couple of chunks and close it back up.

Reactions: Woody Stover
To get heat upstairs I found that keeping fan off works best for me

Status
Not open for further replies.