Stove Paint Worth It?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunadan

Oct 3, 2006
Holland Patent, NY
My Lopi (standard black) insert came with a can of Metallic Black Stove Bright paint.

The stove top is a bit scratched up. Nothing bad, but I figure in a couple years if nothing is done to maintain it it's going to look pretty beat up.

Does anyone have any experience with reapplying paint to your stove/insert? My experience with touch up paint is it never looks as good as the original.

Is it worth using this, or some other (better) product? If so, any tips to not having it look like I just applied black spray paint to my stove?

Thanks.

Sean

Be sure you do this outdoors. This is an acetone based paint and will fry your braincells quickly. It needs tons of ventilation and a good paint mask with serious filtration.

I have used the 6309 metallic black stove bright many many times. Usually it is a used stove being cleaned up for re-sale. I sand down the nasty spots and clean it up really good with "TSP Substitute". Then I usually paint the whole thing to give it a nice even coat.

I will have to try the steel wool next time, what kind is recommended? I have zero experience with steel wool.

BTW, when you are done, you will be covered in glitter.

Steel wool (0000)

There's no way I'm taking the insert outside to paint. That would require removing furnace cement around offset box hookup, removing offset box, pulling out insert, lugging outside (down stairs), and then reversing the above steps. This will be an indoor project with windows open or not at all. Since I'm not looking to paint the entire thing, just a few spots on top, it can't be too bad.

I have used a lot of Stove Bright paint indoors to re-paint the inside of gas fireplaces... sometimes use half of a can if its really nasty. It gets pretty stinky but I think I just got used to it. One of the techs requested some BBQ grill paint for doing this, we use that now its less stinky. Anyway... use the Stove Bright, its nice paint, and open up some windows. Can't go through life without killing a few brain cells.

I have had a Pacific Energy Super 27 in my front room for the past 6 burn seasons. We run 6-8 face cords through it each year. I does not cool down..... Each year at the end of the season I clean it real good and touch up with black heat paint. It looks brand new everytime. Never had a problem with it. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.