Stove Parts In A Heartbeat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I am replacing the liner in the chimney of the fireplace where the 30-NC resides. While the stove was sitting out in the middle of the floor I got to thinking. Convection heat shields are available for it ostensibly to give closer clearances. But I got to thinking about the heat from the sides of the stove pulling convection air up through the shields and getting blown out into the room from the fireplace along with the air from the rear heat shield.

So I got on-line about eight o'clock Wednesday night and ordered a set of the shields from England's Stove Works. They arrived on the UPS truck at 12:16 this afternoon, Friday. Less than a day and a half after the order was placed.

Now THAT is getting it done.

Mike, tell the parts folks many thanks from ole BB.

Now that's what I call speedy service.

Sounds like it should work out well too. Be sure to let us know what kind of difference it makes.

thanks BB , i'll definately pass that along. of course the fact that you are in state speeds things up , but we usually get online parts requests turned around within 24 hours unless a weekend order is placed or a holiday gets in the way.

BrotherBart said:
I am replacing the liner in the chimney of the fireplace where the 30-NC resides. While the stove was sitting out in the middle of the floor I got to thinking. Convection heat shields are available for it ostensibly to give closer clearances. But I got to thinking about the heat from the sides of the stove pulling convection air up through the shields and getting blown out into the room from the fireplace along with the air from the rear heat shield.

So I got on-line about eight o'clock Wednesday night and ordered a set of the shields from England's Stove Works. They arrived on the UPS truck at 12:16 this afternoon, Friday. Less than a day and a half after the order was placed.

I'm hoping my non-combustible stainless was provides this same convection effect for circulating the heat in the room

Attachments

• IMG_0173-1.JPG
    IMG_0173-1.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 399
I still think the heat from that stainless setup is going to be awesome.

myzamboni said:
BrotherBart said:

I'm hoping my non-combustible stainless was provides this same convection effect for circulating the heat in the room

It should to at least some degree, that is what the 1" spacing requirement is for after all... However I would expect a heat shield next to the stove itself to give more flow simply because it would be pumping more heat into the space, thus driving more of a convection current. Of course if you really seriously want heat, you put a fan so that it blows air through the shield gap. This would give you a much greater volume of air, although theory suggests the air would be cooler.

Gooserider

It is going to be interesting. I ran the blower yesterday and the air coming up and straight across the top of the stove from the rear shield fans out immediately and blows over the top openings in the shields. So their is going to be some syphon action across the tops of the shields with the blower going in addition to convection.

Stay tuned. Film at eleven.

Attachments

• shields 1.jpg
    shields 1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 237
  • shields 2.jpg
    shields 2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 257
  • shields 3.jpg
    shields 3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 245
Status