Stove pipe adapter too tight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msal

Aug 5, 2015
Effingham, NH
Hi everyone, just about wrapping up my wood stove installation and I've run into a problem. Here's my setup at the moment:

stove (Jotul f45)
stove adapter (DSP6SA)
telescoping double wall stove pipe (DSP6TL)
stove pipe adapter (JSE6ASE)
... class A pipe, rain cap, etc.

The problem I'm having is with connecting the telescoping double wall pipe to the stove pipe adapter sticking downward from the ceiling. Note that the telescoping pipe does not fit inside the adapter, and instead slides over it. The fit is also very tight.

Per the telescoping pipe's manual, I either need to use a universal chimney adapter (DSP6CA) or the 3" finishing band that came with the telescoping pipe. The manual also specifically states that the finishing band should sit flush with the 'bead' where the adapter begins to widen (hard to describe, but where the 6" pipe ends and begins to rapidly widen?). Currently my telescoping pipe is about 5" away from the 'bead' I described. It needs to go up another 2" in order for the finishing band to sit the way it's supposed to according to the manual.

Should I try banging the pipe upward with wood/mallet? I really don't want to damage the telescoping piece as it was not cheap, and certainly don't want to damage the chimney adapter on the ceiling. Should I just go ahead and order the universal chimney adapter? I am hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction... I would rather not wait for another part but want to make sure my install is up to snuff.

Another problem I've noticed is that when the stove adapter sits flush/snug on my stove flue, it points back at an angle (not straight up). When I point the adapter straight up, there is some space (almost enough to get my finger into) between the back of the flue collar and the back of the adapter. This is a double-wall stove adapter, so maybe this space doesn't matter? Should I leave the stove adapter at an angle and deal with the change in direction where the adapter meets the telescoping pipe? I'm not even sure I can do this, since they fit pretty snug.

Thanks guys!
MSal

Well I figured I would post an update, despite not getting any feedback.

I went ahead and ordered the universal chimney adapter (DSP6CA). It slipped right over my ceiling chimney adapter all the way up, snug. Maybe the finishing band would have worked if I really banged the telescoping pipe upward but I didn't want to risk it.

I decided not to worry about the gap behind the stove adapter. I had everything apart again prior to installing the universal adapter and looked inside. It looks like there are no gaps in the inner pipe when the stove adapter is pointing straight up. It's just the outer part of the double wall pipe that has a gap, if that makes sense.

Everything is all installed and I've gone through 2/3 'break in' burns per the Jotul F45 manual. I'll be doing the 3rd break in burn tonight and after that I should be ready to go!

Hard to follow your posts. You never said what brand double wall and no photos. I can verify that there is supposed to be a gap between the outer wall of simpson double wall and the top of the stove. The seal is being made on the outside of the inner wall.

Glad it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.