Stove Pipe Frustrations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkbug

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 20, 2010
Upstate NY
Im working on trying to connect my boiler to the chimney, and I have had to walk away from it for now due to frustration.

The Varm comes with a pipe shaped like an "L", that has a flange mounted on it that bolts the boiler. Its made from plate steel, not just sheet metal. Well its almost exactly the same diameter as a piece of 6" stove pipe.

My issue is that I cant slide a piece of pipe over the outside, but the pipe itself is so thick the crimped end of regular stove pipe doesnt want to fit inside of it.

Any tips?

they make a large band clamp that seals seamless that will go over both ends.

Attachments

• DSCF0340.jpg
    DSCF0340.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 390
Both ideas are pretty slick!

But where on earth do I get a band clamp, and who typically has a crimper I can borrow? I dont wanna go and buy one for this one fitting if I can help it....

Clarkbug said:
Both ideas are pretty slick!

But where on earth do I get a band clamp, and who typically has a crimper I can borrow? I dont wanna go and buy one for this one fitting if I can help it....

Stove shop may have a crisper, probably do it for free if you bring in the pipe.

Box stores have them, might just "try" it out in the store.

tawilson1152 said:
Tinknockers. I have a couple. How far from Theresa?

Well, before this morning, I didnt even know there was a Theresa, NY.

And after I looked at the map, I realized why :)

Im on the other side of the state, so probably a bit of a haul for a tool borrow, but I very very much appreciate the offer!

Ill head to my local hardware store, they are good folks, and might have a set I can borrow, or they might crimp it for me. Otherwise Ill have to start asking around.

Thanks again!

Clarkbug,

Our local HVAC/plumbing supply store will crimp a pipe for us for free. Only takes a second. So you may want to see if you can find a local sotre like that who sells furnaces and furnace pipe and see if they will do it for you. Good luck to ya, hope all goes well.

Status
Not open for further replies.