stove pipe 'insert' - in existing fireplace pipe??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hondochica

Oct 9, 2017
Divide, CO
Greetings;

New to forum and (somewhat) to wood stoves. I am pulling a fireplace box from my manu house and installing a small freestanding wood stove. The wood stove is a VC Resolute Acclaim 2490; requires a 6" stove pipe. The existing fireplace uses a 12" double (?) insulated pipe (see photo) - runs from fireplace through ceiling and roof. Now I'd rather not remove the 12" pipe from the roof as then I will have to deal with retrofitting a 6" pipe to a 12" + hole. Can I run the 6" pipe through the 12" pipe from the ceiling upward? The current setup (fireplace pipe) has no 'support box' at the ceiling - just flashing and what looks like a collar. Guessing I would have to install a proper support box in the ceiling - remove existing flashing etc. If I don't have to remove the existing 12" - should I still use insulated 6" stove pipe?

I had one guy out here looking at this - he suggested I could just push the 12" up above the ceiling - install the box - and rest the 12" back on top of the box - with 6" through the 12". But . . not sure how much experience he has - given his young age (late 20's?). And can't seem to get anyone else to return my call - I imagine everyone is booked!

Any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

Kelly

Attachments

• pipe_ceiling_2.jpg
    pipe_ceiling_2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 125
Without knowing a lot more details I suspect not. You will be much better off installing with proper 6" class A chimney and double-wall stove pipe following the manual's instructions for alcove installation. I'd get a certified CSIA sweep on site for a proper evaluation first if there are caveats and questions.

Thanks BeGreen - I would be using 6" class A all the way to the top (outside - possible above the existing pipe) - I just want to run it through (assuming it fits) the 12" existing pipe so I don't have to remove it between the ceiling (attic) and roof. Also - the stove will be standing 2+ feet clear of any walls in the living room - with exception of 1 support beam which I'm not sure what I'm doing with yet. So no "alcove" (small recessed area). The photo I attached is confusing -