Stove Pipe Joint Gap Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I know that many say it isn't necessary to seal stove pipe joints. However, my setup has a rather large gap where the pipe meets the stove which I fill with loose rope gasket material in a couple of spots, but that doesn't really prevent air flow to any significant extent. I am no expert, which is probably why I can't understand how an air leak is not a problem. Modern stoves seal the doors and seams well, yet (I believe) the draft in the chimney caused by rising hot gases and outside air (wind) passing over the chimney will draw air from the path of least resistance (often, "the gap", when the stove door is closed and air flow setting turned down on the stove). That room air is much cooler than exhaust gases which (one again, I believe) will cool the flue gases and create less draw of gasses from the stove and more creosote from cooler flue gasses. My non-expert intuition tells me that, like sucking on a straw in a thick shake, you don't want a hole in the straw where it will pull in air instead.

Please explain how I am mistaken.

I know I can seal the joint with stove cement or the like, but I still want to know how this works.

Thanks
Art

I agree, fill those gaps, no sense having a hole in a straw.

Your analysis is correct. Sometimes you will even see shiny creosote streaks starting from the spot of the leak and going up the connector pipe. You want any air pulled by the chimney to have to pass through the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.