Stove pipe quality? Supervent? Simpsom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michiganwinters

Hearth Supporter
Aug 24, 2007
Bought the stove and picked it up today. Got the summit on a ped. all black for $1545 out the door so GREAT deal!! Im trying to figure out what kinda pipe to use if I should buy it from the dealer who will give me 25% off or is it OK to use the stuff from Menards, Lowes or HomeDepot? Dont know if there is a real quality difference or is it just marked up because its a dealer.

We use simpson at our shop, works great, never had any problems with it.

I am very happy with the Simpson Dura Liner I used for my insert. They have a nice line of pipe also.
The Selkirk Corie and I used at the Philly donor install was nice stuff also. Twist lock I think? with clamps on each junction of pipe.
Nice stuff.

Just doing an install with Simpson and very happy with it. Easy to assemble and seems well built. Not familar with any of the off brands.

nshif said:
Just doing an install with Simpson and very happy with it. Easy to assemble and seems well built. Not familar with any of the off brands.

Selkirk Metalbestos is just gonna love being called off brand.

Simpson is very popular. Metalbestos is as well. Homesaver liners are nice too. Alot of chimneys are good. go look at them look at the gauge of material etc. One recomendation I will make is to go with dense packed stainless chimney.

Does anyone make seam welded stovepipe instead of the crappy "ridge lock" stuff that one finds at the hardware stores ? And how about enameled pipe ? The double wall pipe I saw at Menards was so awfull looking I could never put it on my stove. And to add insult to injury it is about the same price as Class A !

simpson duravent and selkirk metalbestos are great pipe , i know simpson very well,they have a great customer servic deprtment (marie is an absolute doll!) corie is very familiar with selkirk, 25 year warranty is pretty impressive, i'd call them the class of the field until i see better.

no offence against the others out there i just havent worked with them

The only people I know that make enameled pipe is Vermont Castings and it's single wall. Unfortunately I dont' know of any welded seam double wall. However there are some welded seam single walls out there. Though there are differences in quality as well when it comes to ridgelock pipe. The stuff out of the big box that you have to snap the seam together yourself on is not the best, but the Simpson Duravent that comes in boxes already locked is a fine product that I've not personally seen a seam fail on.

KeithO said:
Does anyone make seam welded stovepipe instead of the crappy "ridge lock" stuff that one finds at the hardware stores ? And how about enameled pipe ? The double wall pipe I saw at Menards was so awfull looking I could never put it on my stove. And to add insult to injury it is about the same price as Class A !

I don't know about enameled but I use Simpson DuraBlack seam welded black pipe on my stoves. Twenty-five bucks a 24" section but I prefer it to the snap together junk at the hardware stove.

BrotherBart said:
nshif said:

Selkirk Metalbestos is just gonna love being called off brand.

Wasnt refering to Selkirk just the junk thy sell at HD, Ace , etc. Metalbestos is good stuff too just not as easy to find.

I believe the Simpson Dura Liner double wall pipe I used is welded.
Home depot carries Simpson single & double wall stove pipe. I think they have single wall black also.

Give your summit the pleasure of breathing threw Excel (ICC)

I originally purchased Simpson duravent stove pipe to attach my woodstove to class A. I went to a local dealer and cost $360 for a though the wall installation. A friend of mine purchased the Supervent DSP stove pipe from Lowes for @200 through the wall setup. I compared the products and did not really notice that much of a difference. Hence I returned the Simpson and saved some money. Lowes now has a complete list of stove pipe and class A that they can order. The kits seem to be much more expensive than purchasing the items needed individually.

I think I've used almost every "main-stream" chimney product at this point, only because the donor program has brought pipe from a lot of different places and now at Englander I'm exposed to the Simpson line.

As far as single wall stovepipe goes, there is a definitely order of quality, in my mind. Heat-Fab (Now owned by Selkirk), makes the most heavy duty, fully welded seam stove pipe. I would say that Simpson Dura-Black comes in second, however using Simpson dura-black with simpson duravent chimney is a no-brainer because they twist lock together.

As far as Class A stuff goes, its all basically comparable. I don't see any one manufacturer having a SIGNIFICANTLY better product than another. There are differences in construction style and insulation type, but they are basically all well built, safe units. I will say that I like the twist lock system on Selkirk Platinum series Class A better than any other company, but that might be more my personal opinion. I just feel that it locks up a little tighter than some others. Otherwise though, it's all good stuff. The brands I've used and would recommend are: Simpson Dura-Tech and Dura-Plus, Metal-Fab, Selkirk Metalbestos Platinum Series. I know there are other great pipe manufacturers, but that's what I've used and liked.

As far as double wall goes, I will say that I like Simpson DVL; it's probably the best of the best double wall stovepipe on the market, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.