stove pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawandorder

Mar 17, 2008
upstate new york
I am looking to install a zc wood burning fireplace. THe unit has 6 inch flue pipe. Can i install this into a pre-existing 8 inch metalbestos pipe??Thanks all for the reply

Should be no problem, but part depends upon the chimney; how tall and how much draft you get. If you have good draft there should be no problem. Just get an adapter.

draft is fine. The height is 26 ft through a cathedral ceiling and pipe is only 3 yrs old and gets cleaned every year. Thanks for all the info. I am just concerned as to having to replace all that pipe with 6 inch would be a huge problem.

Depends on what unit you are installing. Most will only allow you to vent into a specific type of venting. There are a few that only specify class A system.

My first wood stove required an 8" pipe and chimney. My last wood stove, and now a new coal stove use a 6" outlet. I ran 6" single wall stove pipe to the 8" SS insulated chimney pipe. Has worked great, with a good draft. You just should never go down in size from the stove/fireplace manufacturer's specifications. You are in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.