STOVE PIPE SETUP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flh69

Hearth Supporter
Jan 2, 2007
I have a Timberline wood stove that I have been using since 1978. The stove has an 8" collar. I am running 8" stove pipe up approx. 30" to where it goes thru the wall. It reduces down to 6" at that point via a double walled metalbestos thimble and goes into a 7"x 7" inside diameter chimney flue.
I have no problems with draft but do have a creosote problem due to the fact that I can not run the stove real hard due to my house being small and very well insulated and the stove is large. When I did this setup, I asked questions from people I thought were knowledgable but later I learned were not. This was the 70's in the energy crisis and everyone was an expert.
Would I be better off to reduce the stove pipe to 6" right where it comes out of the stove?

May be better off with a smaller stove, either that or open some windows but that is really a waste of the resource (Wood)

In your case the exact place where it is reduced may not matter much. The chimney setup with those 90 degree angles plus the older stove and the fact that you cannot burn hot are what is creating your creosote.

A smaller and newer stove would help when you have the budget. There are some models as inexpensive as $600 or so, and considering you can get a coupld hundred (200 or so) for your unit, it might be a nice idea.

The market for those old heaters is better than one might think too.

A guy I know who has a home business is casually looking for a second one in his shop so he can get off oil 100%
I say casually because it just hasnt been cold this winter.

Thanks for the replies. I know I'd be better off with a smaller stove but I guess I'll just keep what I have and put up with the creosote. I just have to clean my chimney twice a year which is no big deal. I just thought I might be better off to reduce the pipe at the stove.
flh69

Status
Not open for further replies.