Stove Pipe Temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paddock

Dec 3, 2008
NL, Canada
I've been running my new Kerr TW2000 (not a gasifier) for about a month now. Finally getting the hang of it.

I'm wondering about my flue temps. I have an external thermometer attached to the single wall stove pipe about 12 inches from the stove. I'm seeing a max of 260 when the drafter is open and the stove is full. But most of the time it's running at around 150. Is this too low? I realize the best way to measure is by using a probe type thermometer, but this magnetic one was all I could find locally.

The boiler runs perfect, good draft, heats the water quickly. Not much smoke from the chimney.

I'm planning to pull apart the stove pipes and inspect everything as soon as I get a warmer day.

The flue gas temps in the center of the pipe are approx. double what you see on the ex. thermometer. 300 to 500 sounds decent to me, Randy Not sure what happened with this post, please disregard, Randy

I use a probe type thermometer in the flue pipe and see temps less 300*F when gasifying well with dry hardwood. To me, this means that the boiler is doing its job - getting the heat to the water.
As the hx tubes in the boiler get dirty, the flue temp will rise, and I know it is time for a cleaning. Not of the flue pipe, but of the boiler hx tubes. So far, just cleaning the tubes twice yearly, as the EKO super has the turbulators with handle to knock loose ash down the tubes.

Your best bet is to keep track of the flue temps on your thermometer, establish a baseline, and watch for a rise. Then you can inspect the pipe and boiler to see how dirty it is. This will give you an idea of when to clean in the future.

i have the same boiler and i can burn dry wood or green wood, the boiler dont care and my flue is very clean but take lots of wood.
after 8 cords, not a trace of creosote but a small film of dust in the flue

I try to keep my gasser just above 300 with a probe type thermometer to avoid flue gas condensation. Also as mentioned above rising temps tell me its time to scrub the Hx tubes.

My gasser seems to run at about 400F most of the time measured by a stack probe. As it start to buildup fly ash in the tubes it will creep up to 600F running at which point I have cleaned the boiler tubes. It's nice to see no creosote buildup when I have cleaned the tubes.

Rurik

Well its no wonder I cant get rid of the heat my Solo 60 makes When I am clean with turbulators in I am running at 550 inside probe temps when gasifying. I clean when I hit about 650-700 .
at idle i am at about 200 .

Status
Not open for further replies.