Stove pipe through metal roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riverstone

Nov 25, 2007
Northwest Michigan
Hi all,
I'm looking to install a woodstove in my metal-roofed, unattached pole barn, and have two questions. I have 6" class A pipe that will begin in a box support at the bottom of the trusses and continue up and through the metal roof, rising above by 3'. There is no ceiling or insulation--just trusses and horizontal purlins at the top, to which the roof is fastened.

1. Can I attach the class A pipe support box directly to wood 2x6s strung between trusses--seems to me that if it's class A pipe inside of the box there shouldn't be a problem with that. If not, how should I hang that support box, seeing as I want it at the bottom of the trusses, with single wall pipe coming up to it from the stove (don't want single wall pipe to be anywhere between or near trusses)?

2. More important, what about the class A pipe flashing on a ridged metal roof? I read somewhere that people put the flashing piece UNDER the metal roof, sticking up through it (with the collar above) and seal from the top. If it goes on top of the roof, as it's designed to do, any suggestions for notching and bending the flashing to fit it to the metal roof ridges for a proper seal?

Just an uninsulated, metal pole barn, but want to do it right...the class A pipe I have, incidentally, is the triple-walled Duravent.

Thanks.

If you are using a support box made by the manufacturer of the pipe is should be designed to keep the pipe the recommended clearances from combustibles, so there are no problems there.

For the roof you need a "dead soft aluminum flashing." It can be easily shaped to fit your roofs contours. People used to use lead flashings, but that was discontinued for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.