Stove Prices 2008-2009 Season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
Had to go to my dealer to order a new insualting blanket and a rope gasket yesterday. While there I noticed they had a floor model of my stove (Morso 3610) in stock. Curious I asked how much thye were going for this year...I know they go up annually and expected to see an additional increase due to the rising cost of manufacturing, metals and really high shipping. But I wasn't ready for what they told me. I boiught mine last year for $1900 delivered to my home and on my hearth pad, this was a discounted price off the $2200 (I think) list price at the time. Today the stove is marked at $2790, plus tax and delivery...while I was there they got a notification that new stove stock will be raised an additional 16% for cast iron and 14% for steel stoves. So now the same 3610 I picked up last year for $1900 will ding you $3400 (tax included) if you go to pick it up. Thats approaching my total cost of installation including stove, 30+' of double and triple wall pipe, a custom hearthpad and labor to install. Yikes!

Asked about pellet stoves while I was there as I've been tpying with buying a cheap one to put in my basement...cheapest one they can even order is $2400, subject to change and they weren't even sure they could get one in before winter because production is totally overwhelmed and the list is pushing 6 months waiting period.

I can see that it won't be long before the only people who cna afford to install a decent supplimental heating system that will help them reduce their heating costs will be the people who can easily afford their heating costs without the stoves. Gonna be a rich man's luxury item to have a wood stove.

That's pretty shocking. This September could get pretty ugly.

Supply and demand is our way of life here. It makes for great price gougeing but I don't think it is all from the dealers as everyone has entered that marked so each step of the way needs their increase. Sad to see but maybe used stoves now will be a good investment.

We purchased a new stove in Feb on sale for $1300.00 which was $1000.00 off and I hate to think what it will cost this fall. Glad I made the move when I did. %-P

My local Jotul/Scan dealer said August is going to have a 16% increase. Transport cost and commodoties..... I can believe it actually. Mix in a weak greenback and there you have it.

I was quoted $2100 for a Scan 60 and $2150 for a Scan Anderson 10. I feel those prices are fair actually. That translates to less then 1500 Euros for a product built in Denmark and then shipped halfway around the world.....

The greenback is killing us on imports right now.

I made sure to order my Buck Stove 21 insert in June and got it for $900, plus tax, plus $750 installation. Amish feller always runs a 10% sale in June and July, with June being the best month because July sees a yearly cost increase to the store from the manufacturers. He said his prices had ALREADY gone up before July, but he was trying to hold off and not disturb the force...

Sorry folks Get over it. For a grand you can get a big ass steel stove that will heat your house.

It ain't furniture, it's heat.

BrotherBart said:
Sorry folks Get over it. For a grand you can get a big ass steel stove that will heat your house.

Yep--like my enviro Kodiak. 5/16 steel on the top and 1/4 on the sides. not built like a sherman tank, but rather like a T-34 or a Panther./ And she is a beauty in my eyes. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:

Spoken like a true bachelor!!!!!! :)

I take the opposite POV, it's in our living room and a heater 6 mos of the year (well almost 8 this year). But 12 months of the year, it's furniture and should look it, especially when it's a focal point of the room.

It has to be pretty for me. :)

The one in the Beaver Island house is plain steel and does the job but then the house isn't complete yet so it doesn't matter. When I retire and finish the house then we will be getting a pretty stove for there also.

I'm not surprised, that's why we decided to go ahead a purchase our PE in March even though it's not hooked up yet.

Of course, Morso is European so the devaluation of the dollar plus shipping costs are going to hit it even more heavily.

Ken

I'm holding off on selling the F400 until fall. By the sounds of things, it may be the only one available in Seattle.

BeGreen said:
I take the opposite POV, it's in our living room and a heater 6 mos of the year (well almost 8 this year). But 12 months of the year, it's furniture and should look it, especially when it's a focal point of the room.

"Pretty" is in the eye of the beholder. Afficionados of the ornate cast iron stoves and the soapstone stoves (beautiful as many of them are), would probably think of our steel plate Lopi Liberty as rather "plain" looking...even "ugly", or "boring". So be it. Didn't buy it to put in anyone else's home. We like it. We like the way it looks, and we like the way it heats our home. The styling of it fits our taste and our lifestyle and our eclectic furnishings and our home perfectly. There are so many choices out there, I think you can have your stove and burn it too, whatever your preferences in appearance of the appliance. Rick

I just bought my Jotul 550 last month $2600, signed, sealed,delivered. I believe in supply and demand and the basic laws of economics, no matter what MSNBC says. I just hope that it translates to the home I bought two years ago, that I am down $50,000, on paper. I choose to be a true New Englander and "ride out the storm". I know one thing, these are the times that millionaires are made. I wish I had excess dough to invest into real estate. Oh the money to be made!

Does anyone know the the Lowes or HD "in store" price for an Eng 13? Do the stores in northern New England get them sooner than southern stores?

BrotherBart said:

I agree ! Pay the price or pay the piper, oil man that is.

The price of stoves will probably double next year when oil hits $200. And I believe it will. I have not seen a slow down in peoples driving habits at all even at $4.10/gal.
Demand for oil(gas) has not declined here I don't believe.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
And I believe it will. I have not seen a slow down in peoples driving habits at all even at $4.10/gal.
Demand for oil(gas) has not declined here I don't believe.

Actually the US usage of gasoline has dropped a couple of percent instead of the usual increase. That is a significant change.

Ken

I am not shocked look at the prices of steel YOY and I am sure demand is robust this year. What surprised me is last summer they couldn't give a stove away.

I do appreciate looks but I am all about function, end of story.
I am not surprised about the price hikes, to be expected, there are still deals just have to look right?

On that note I am off to the stove store to poke around price out pipe & a new damper, which also sells fishing tackle and bait, love that place!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.