Stove probe thermometer or stove top thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Hi everyone. I am asking if I can use a stove stop thermometer on my Osburn instead of a probe thermometer? I am not excited about drilling a hole in the stove pipe. Thank you.

Hi everyone. I am asking if I can use a stove stop thermometer on my Osburn instead of a probe thermometer? I am not excited about drilling a hole in the stove pipe. Thank you.
I like both but if I had to choose one pipe is the most important. Is it double or single wall?

Lots of folks seem wary of drilling a hole through their double wall stove pipe for a probe thermometer . . . that said . . . I find this to be much more useful than my stove thermometer when running the stove. Don't worry . . . just go slow and use the right size drill bit and everything will be and look fine . . . with no smoke spillage.

You need to drill the hole. Like some onse said already drill slow and follow which drill bit sizes it states in the instructions. I am running a condar. Super easy to install 5 minutes once you gather the tools you need.

Reactions: Newburnerwisconsin
Lots of folks seem wary of drilling a hole through their double wall stove pipe for a probe thermometer . . . that said . . . I find this to be much more useful than my stove thermometer when running the stove. Don't worry . . . just go slow and use the right size drill bit and everything will be and look fine . . . with no smoke spillage.
Thanks for the information. I am installing the probe today. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

It’s done. Thanks everyone. Appreciate it!

Attachments

• EFE26E12-AA5B-426E-B235-F18121093DFB.jpeg
    EFE26E12-AA5B-426E-B235-F18121093DFB.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 107