Stove Problem - Catalyst Housing Warped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwoair23

Feeling the Heat
Oct 2, 2011
Ohio
Hi All,

I wanted your thoughts and opinions on a seemingly unique problem I have since I can't find anyone else online with this issue.

I have a very old Appalachian Gemini wood stove. The catalyst was missing from the time I bought the house, and back then I didn't even know what a catalyst was. I ran it for three seasons before I even knew I was missing it.

My problem is that the metal housing/bracket that the catalyst slides into is totally FUBAR. It is warped to all hell and I really don't think I can find a replacement for it.

What should I do here? Do I have any options other than keep running it without it? Honestly it hasn't really caused me much of an issue, but I don't know how it ran before to compare it. I can get about 4-5 hours max is the only thing, but I can only fit about 6-7 splits in this smaller wood stove as well. Usually I get more like 2-3 hours with 4-5 splits.

I sweep out my chimney myself every couple months, and I do get a large coffee mug full of creosote, but that doesn't bother me a lot since I just sweep it more often.

I would like to put the catalysts in, but I just don't know how to go about it at this point?

Best bet is to talk to Appalachian. They have made several Gemini models over the years but probably haven't changed the design much. A replacement cat chamber may be available for it. Or it might could be fabbed by a metal shop locally.

I did think about the metal shop idea, I have never done anything like that before, any ballpark idea of what that cost might be?

Also, I have emailed Appalachian before and never got a response, I heard thats fairly typical from them as of late. :(

The phone number is (828) 253-0164. Give them a call. When I called about something they were very helpful. Maybe you can get a new catalyst replacement. Let us know what they say.

The phone number is (828) 253-0164. Give them a call. When I called about something they were very helpful. Maybe you can get a new catalyst replacement. Let us know what they say.

Wow thanks! I will give them a call and see what I can find out, I'll report back with the results. Thanks!

jwoair23 what did you do about your catalyst housing on your wood stove ? Were you able to find a replacement or have a new one made ? I thought of you when I saw another post and picture of one on here.

You are correct mellow, thats mainly where I can be found! Thanks for the bump, I missed coltfever's post. I am actually pretty embarassed to say this is still on my "to-do" list. :( I really should have started trying to get this taken care of already, I want to get it fixed before the start of burning season.

Since you guys have called me out I will try and make the call tomorrow, thanks for the motivation!

Well I went ahead and made the call yesterday. When you call Appalachian Stove the lady you will talk to is name Tina. She will ask you what year the stove was made and model you have. They do not have them in stock. It has to be made. Just in case I ever need one I ask her how much would it cost for my Appalachian 52 Bay. She said around $169.00 plus shipping. For your Gemini 4N1 XL my guess would be about the same. Ok now take a break away from the woodshed and get that new cat damper housing made. Fall will be here before you know it.

If your getting 4 hours without it i can only guess you will get 6-8 hours with it!

If your getting 4 hours without it i can only guess you will get 6-8 hours with it!
I'm not so familiar w/Appalachians, but I have a question: What does the cat. housing bolt into, and is there a chance THAT could be warped such that the NEW one won't go in? Maybe ask Tina. BY the time you buy the cat. etc. might you be halfway to a new NC-30 or something? Just a thought... Plus you wouldn't wanna spend the $ on parts to find you can't use em anyway.

The cat bolts to the top of the stove, at least in my cat stove it does. It then will gointo a smoke chamber that is connected to the bypass damper area, which is technically just above the inside ceiling of the stove. Then it exits out the top.

If its gonna be in the $250-$350 range, a 30-NC as suggested above wouldn't be bad. Take that $300, plus what you can get off of Craigslist for your current stove? ?

The 30-NC is a Monster compared to that stove. 8-10 hrs without a Burp :)

Hope you get it figured.... But if its FUBAR'd to bad?? Check CL for used or look up "Englander Zip Code Dealio".

Insert, not free standing so the 30nc is out of the picture.

Picture of my housing, might be close to yours, it just bolts to the top plate:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/wp_000446-jpg.65943/

6-8 hour burns should be the norm for your stove, maybe even longer with the new cats.

Many here have freestandings vented into a liner? No?

Edit: The 4N1 XL looks to be a Freestanding unit? (Google image search). ? Is this an insert? Or freestanding?

I just happened to look at his past posts so it certainly looks like an insert and doesn't look to have the space to put a freestanding unit in that hole.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/2011-11-20_18-13-45_890-jpg.53742/

As with a lot of Appalachians stoves they can be freestanding or insert.

Insert_4NIXL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.