stove problems article

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoveguy2esw

Minister of Fire
Nov 14, 2006
madison hgts. va
Great article, I am sure you hear that stuff all the time right Mike. "What's wrong with (this)my stove that you sold me"

I have good wood right now for the first time in a while, this article just reminded me to go buy a moisture meter. I have been curious to what my wood is right now

Thanks Mike for the link. I don't understand why you should never cut a single-wall pipe? If it is to long I cut it.
Don

Very educational, Mike.

I learned a few things.

Thanks !!

N6CRV said:
Thanks Mike for the link. I don't understand why you should never cut a single-wall pipe? If it is to long I cut it.
Don

don , im sure there is a reason , though i dont know what it is , maybe the powers that be think it makes it harder to seal , i dunno. i am curious by nature though. i'll see if i can find somthing on it, or maybe i'll call wayne and ask.

JFK said:
Great article, I am sure you hear that stuff all the time right Mike. "What's wrong with (this)my stove that you sold me"

ohh once or twice, folks just dont understand all that goes into that pipe running out your roof pulling air through a stove. to be honest 15 years ago , i didnt have a clue either. reading articles like this and others has taught me , as has reading posts in this and other forums, which is one of the reasons i "live" in here.

by the way , there are literally hundreds of articles on the aer site , if you are into the buisness or just wanna browse, its a treasure trove of both knowledge and insights as to whats happening in the hearth world

OK, I know I am the bad guy, but I cringed when I read that article!

Lots of parts of it just plain do not make sense - bad structure and run-on sentences with unassociated ideas.

"Also, you should never cut a single-wall pipe. Some of the advantages in using a single-wall pipe are that it radiates heat into the room, and it is inexpensive. But there are disadvantages, too."

Huh? No problem cutting single wall....and the two ideas in this paragraph have nothing to do with each other!

"A single-wall pipe requires 18 inches of clearance to combustible materials with a single-wall connector, and it can create too much heat loss which, in turn, will create creosote inside of the chimney."

Cringe....double cringe. Read that...please....and tell me if it makes sense.

"Single-wall connectors come in either 24 MSG black pipe or 26 MSG blue steel."

No, not true - or legal. You cannot use pipe lighter than 24 ga according to NFPA, and therefore most common single wall is either 22 ga (heat-fab) or 24 ga.

"The problem that arises is that stove owners do not get enough heat because it is not that cold outside,"

I really don't get it - you would get MORE heat if it was not that cold outside.....

Anyway, I was amazed that AER or Travis does not proof such an article for basic content (NFPA inaccuracies) or for basic readability. If this guy is their top tech.....well, I'm not impressed.

But I'm happy if other folks learned something.....Oh, I tried to write a comment to the editors (they asked for comments) and the mail bounced....strike 3.

I agree, Dooley has a nice folksy way of talking, but leaves one hanging on unfinished thoughts. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing at times.

Webmaster said:
OK, I know I am the bad guy, but I cringed when I read that article!

Lots of parts of it just plain do not make sense - bad structure and run-on sentences with unassociated ideas.

(snip)

Anyway, I was amazed that AER or Travis does not proof such an article for basic content (NFPA inaccuracies) or for basic readability. If this guy is their top tech.....well, I'm not impressed.

But I'm happy if other folks learned something.....Oh, I tried to write a comment to the editors (they asked for comments) and the mail bounced....strike 3.

Wayyy too many trade pubs don't bother paying for competent copy editing. Big mistake, IMHO. I used to do it for a living. Makes a huge difference in the usefulness of the articles to the readers, and to the advertisers.

countrybois said:
Chimneys don't draw combustion air into the stove either.

Well, we could concede that point if it was expressed properly.....

Like "The chimney draft provides the suction which allows combustion air to be drawn into the stove air inlet. However, the home must also not be too tightly constructed so as to limit the availability of this combustion air. In such cases, an air inlet brought in from outside the living area (OAK) is a good option." .....or something like that.....

True, true, but for an article aimed to inform those with little experience it sounds as if he was trying to imply that there are two columns of air movement within the chimney, a warm column moving up, and a cool column moving downward.

"Im getting smoke back into the house theres something wrong with my stove!" Your burning today? "Yea" Well Its 60 degrees outside........ I love those.

Status
Not open for further replies.