Stove question saey 92

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Paulfrombelgium

Dec 25, 2017
Belgium
hello, first a merry christmas,

I’m new here, and sorry for my bad bad english, i tri my best.

I live in belgium and we burn a wood / coal stove Saey 92. Fine stove but we stopt with burning coal. And going to burn exept wood.

My problem is... we have a stainles steel chimney and my draft when the stove is hot is to much,,, in europe is that 35 pa (pa -pascal) and the stove needs between 10 and 20,,, so for coal i have a automatic damper, works perfect,, also it works perfect on wood but it’s dangerous?

When i burning the wood without the damper its always verry hunted fire, al the hot go’s to the chimney, i need always put al valves close of the stove so the fire is nice and easy burning without smoke and the stove is much more hotter than.
Also my window is fast black when i have hunted fire because i think the stove is not hot enouph.

What is my best option to do? Remove the automatic damper and put a mpd in the pipe?

Thanx a lot greets Paul

Attachments

• D9262D14-E158-4362-AFF3-E14B52A37EA2.jpeg
    D9262D14-E158-4362-AFF3-E14B52A37EA2.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 3A246E2A-2763-407C-A0CC-05EEDE6AC2A5.jpeg
    3A246E2A-2763-407C-A0CC-05EEDE6AC2A5.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
The danger with the barometric and wood burning is that the air diluting the draft cools the flue gases. Until the wood has burned down to coals it is emitting volatiles. When these gases get below 120ºC they can start condensing on the cooler parts of the chimney. This condensation is creosote which can plug the chimney and it is flammable. A manual damper does not introduce air to slow down the draft. This is better for wood burning.

Yes, that is strong draft. I'd remove or at least cap off the barometric damper if coal is no longer going to be used and install a manual damper.

Have you tried burning wood in this stove? Combination coal/wood burners are often not very efficient at burning wood as compared to a stove specifically designed for wood burning. They usually burn up wood too fast because the air is fed under the coal bed.

Yes, the saey has also the two valves above the front dore for aire bove the wood,, i use that,, and is works not perfect but we buy a nother stove a year or three, so the stove must be use for three yeare than i going to look for a wood clean burner, i like the jotul 400 / 500 cb
We must save the monny for a new one.

Can you thel me where the best place for mounting te mpd? Is it possible to put it where i have the autodamper ? See pic.

Yes, the saey has also the two valves above the front dore for aire bove the wood,, i use that,, and is works not perfect but we buy a nother stove a year or three, so the stove must be use for three yeare than i going to look for a wood clean burner, i like the jotul 400 / 500 cb
We must save the monny for a new one.

Can you thel me where the best place for mounting te mpd? Is it possible to put it where i have the autodamper ? See pic.

Welcome aboard @Paulfrombelgium. Always nice getting new members from far and abroad. We love pictures just a heads up :).