Stove reccomendations and what is an Alcove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Same here, running insulated ductwork through the un-insulated attic is normal. But don't get me started on insulation. I'm not from around here, and from what I see in our home and others makes me think that if people would invest $10k more building the house, they'd save multiple of that during the lifetime of the home. Making the outside walls 12" thick (it's just framework) and filling them with insulation goes a long way and is not really expensive. Insulating the attic may be a different story.

But back to the point, the most losses you have from a forced-air system are air losses by faulty seals, and not the heat loss through the duct. So if your HVAC builders do a good job there, that really helps.

@Bad LP: I don't really see the issue of servicing equipment up in the attic. There's floor boards around the units and leading to them, and there's space around them, so it's actually easier to service compared to a unit in a closet. Sure it gets hot in Summer up there, but HVAC service is usually done in spring or fall.
Because AC systems never break down in the summer with even the best of care.

Because AC systems never break down in the summer with even the best of care.

Ok, I thought you meant the regular service and not the emergency "Help, my AC is out and I'm hot" service.
In that case you're right. I did help our friendly neighborhood AC guy modify some of our ducts to get a better temperature distribution, and even though we started early in the morning it took us the better part of the day and yes, it was hot.
But he said he's used to it, part of the job...

The amount of heat the stove puts out depends on the operator. If temps are mild, burn partial fires and just feed 2-3 splits on a reload. Or let the fire go out if the house is warm. This is especially true for morning fires on a sunny day.
Remember to plan for an outside air feed to the stove.
I thought outside air was a thing for IF needed for drafting. With a straight shot 20+ foot chimney I wouldn't figure I would need an outside air feed.

Outside air would be a long run from the middle of the house too.

I thought outside air was a thing for IF needed for drafting. With a straight shot 20+ foot chimney I wouldn't figure I would need an outside air feed.

Outside air would be a long run from the middle of the house too.
It's more than just for drafting. Modern houses are usually built well sealed. This is why fresh-air makeup systems are often required. Tight sealing is good but there are some caveats when it comes to a wood stove. If an exhaust fan or competing appliance comes online (dryer, kitchen or bath fan) then it may reverse draft. This is usually when temps are milder outside, but it can also happen in winter when the fire is dying down and say two of those exhausts are running. The second reason is that the stove can and will pull outside cold air for combustion from those same exhaust ports, electrical outlets, leaky doors or windows, if it is starving for air.

In WA state an OAK is required for stoves new construction.