stove recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macklee

Dec 31, 2007
highland county virginia
I need advice from someone that knows more about wood stoves than I do, I need to find a stove that would be the primary source of heat in an 800sq ft cabin, it needs to be large enough to heat for 8 hrs on a load of wood but not so large as to overheat the space, also it would be great if it looked good in an old restored log cabin, in other homes I have had an englander(very solid but would over heat the space it was in) and a hearthstone(beautiful and provided a very nice even long lasting heat but it would have been to large a stove for the cabin). Any suggestions are appreciated.

Kind of tough to get a stove to not produce too much heat and yet burn for a long time. My suggestion would be a smaller soapstone stove like a Woodstock Keystone or Palladian or a Hearthstone Tribute or perhaps Heritage though it might be too big. The catalytic features of the Woodstock allow you to burn at a bit lower rate and will definately give you the burn time you want.

How's your insulation in that cabin? If poor look for a stove with a firebox over 2cu ft. If good and it were me, I'd put a Woodstock Keystone or Palladian in there. You will get those 8 hr burns and the soapstone won't blast you out.

Thanks, the keystone and the tribute were on my list and I had looked at some of the smaller jotuls and morso stoves, I think it was a hearthstone heritage that we had before and it was a great stove, if it is not to large I would like to get another, also how often do the cat converters have to be changed in the woodstock stoves?

Status
Not open for further replies.