Stove size....Please help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippy

Oct 13, 2011
Southeast Michigan
Hello Everyone. I'm trying to decide between 2 stoves, a Jotul Oslo or the Jotul F600. We have a ca. 1870's 2-story brick farmhouse in southeast Michigan. Living space is ~2,000 sq ft. and it's a little drafty. We have a new propane furnace that humidifies and can circulate air, with 2 heating zones - one downstairs, one upstairs. Attic is insulated, walls are not but are actually two brick walls with a 2-inch air gap in between. I've attached a floor plan - the stove would go in the Parlor. The catch is the ceilings are ~10 ft high, and the door headers are ~3 ft, so there's not a great path for the heat to move around. I was originally settled on the F600, but when the chimney guy came to estimate the price of putting in a liner he thought the F600 would be too big because of insufficient heat circulation, and suggested the Oslo or equivalent size. We'd likely put in a ceiling fan, and get the blower kit installed. I know a lot of folks here suggest going bigger if unsure, but I'm worried that we'll be cooked in the room if the stove's too big. I'm also concerned about having too small a fire since it might lead to inefficient burns and creosote buildup. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 330
I think the 600 would be fine and give you that extra capacity when you need it. It will still give you a clean burn with half a load or less and I got a feeling your older house with no insulation in the walls will be crying for a larger stove in the dead of Winter. Ceiling fan will help move that warm air around and you could also try a small fan on the floor near the cooler rooms blowing towards the stove room, this will help push the warm air back around to replace the cooler air the fan blows into the stove room.

Welcome chippy! The parlor is not the ideal location. I will bet that when the house was built, it was heated using the central chimney marked with a big X. That is where I would put an F600. I would also open up the staircase a little if insufficient heat makes it through the doorway.

You will want the bigger one. Especially in your climate with only a double brick wall. Once those bricks get cold, it may be a struggle to get them warmed up. Which means they (the bricks) will be cooling the air within the envelope. Personally I agree with BG on placement. You should find out what the cost of a spray foam insulation, between the double brick walls would cost, that would most likely give you a nice big bang for the buck.

As far as stove, bigger is almost always better, with good fuel a half sized fire will burn clean and you will want the extra capacity come Jan. and Feb. on those fridgid, bone chillng days and nights.

Shawn

BeGreen said:
Welcome chippy! The parlor is not the ideal location. I will bet that when the house was built, it was heated using the central chimney marked with a big X. That is where I would put an F600. I would also open up the staircase a little if insufficient heat makes it through the doorway.

Yes, I would also put the stove right where the big X is and keep all those doors open to circulate the heat into the kitchen and the upstairs. Sticking a stove in the Parlor will really limit how far the heat travels.

Wow! Thanks so much for the quick info! I forgot to point out that the chimney with the X is out of the equation.....Sorry! I totally agree that it would have been the best location, but it only has one flue and it's in use and we were told that we can't add anything to it. We're pretty much stuck with the other 2, with the parlor one being our preference mainly due to room size.

What is currently using the 1 flue?

If no alternative, given it's age I would consider removing the old chimney and put a safe metal one (or two) in its place. It would get boxed in a chase on the second floor. This really is the ideal location for a stove.

Chippy said:
Wow! Thanks so much for the quick info! I forgot to point out that the chimney with the X is out of the equation.....Sorry! I totally agree that it would have been the best location, but it only has one flue and it's in use and we were told that we can't add anything to it. We're pretty much stuck with the other 2, with the parlor one being our preference mainly due to room size.

Well, that sucks. It's going to be mighty difficult to heat the whole house from that location without making that room too warm.

How drafty is this house and how much heating oil/NG/electicity do you use heating the home each winter?

BeGreen said:
What is currently using the 1 flue?

If no alternative, given it's age I would consider removing the old chimney and put a safe metal one (or two) in its place. It would get boxed in a chase on the second floor. This really is the ideal location for a stove.

I totally agree with everything you say! But, the flue is used for the water heater, and there's already a boxed in furnace duct in front of it (dining room side).

BrowningBAR said:
Chippy said:

Well, that sucks. It's going to be mighty difficult to heat the whole house from that location without making that room too warm.

How drafty is this house and how much heating oil/NG/electicity do you use heating the home each winter?

Yep!

Given its age I don't find it overly drafty. Sorry I can't be more quantitative than that......I think we go through about $2500-$3000/ year in propane (about 1,000 gallons, I think)

What about going through the outer wall of dining room?

Many water heaters can be power vented out the side of the house. I would at least investigate this option. It was the solution we worked out for a friend in Seattle.

When I was deciding on the Jotul F 600, a buddy at work said..." You can always build a small fire in a big stove but not a big fire in a small stove." That settled it for me...Jotul F 600....So glad I took his advice. Best wishes in your decision...

NordicSplitter said:
When I was deciding on the Jotul F 600, a buddy at work said..." You can always build a small fire in a big stove but not a big fire in a small stove." That settled it for me...Jotul F 600....So glad I took his advice. Best wishes in your decision...

I totally agree. But the guy who inspected the chimney and gave us an estimate recommended against that. He said we'd be burning too many fires at sub-optimal temps, which I'm guessing leads to more creosote buildup. But what do I know? :roll:

NordicSplitter said:
Isn't that what most of us do at the beginning and end of the season. Had a nice small one going all day yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.