Stove sizing for basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Juddct

Feb 7, 2021
New England
Hello all,

New to pellet stoves and doing a lot of research. Found this great forum and thankful for all the info!
Recently moved into a new home and want to add a stove to the basement. The basement is open and around 1500SF with 11’ ceilings.
I’m looking for a little help with sizing of stove to provide some heat down there. I don’t need it to be 75 degrees, but mid sixties or so would be nice.
Remainder of the house is heated by propane. Wouldn’t mind sizing it to cut down a little on propane use as well.
Any help is appreciated!

Always go bigger than you need, it’s better to run a larger stove at 60-70% than running a smaller stover at 90-100%
What kind of budget do you have?

Reactions: Juddct
Any insulation in the basement, walls ??

Yes. Fully insulated and is a walkout. Has service door and large windows on the backside. We get a lot of western wind so I’m thinking I’ll have to do my ductwork and placement on the east side. It’s not uncommon for 40-50 mph sustained winds.

Try to find a used Harman.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I’ve found a few Whitman around me. Sounds like the general consensus is they are good stoves. Will keep an eye out for a Harman as well.

I definitely recommend a Harman P68.

Good luck finding a working Harman for $750. If you do, I'd like to know where!

Hello all,

New to pellet stoves and doing a lot of research. Found this great forum and thankful for all the info!
Recently moved into a new home and want to add a stove to the basement. The basement is open and around 1500SF with 11’ ceilings.
I’m looking for a little help with sizing of stove to provide some heat down there. I don’t need it to be 75 degrees, but mid sixties or so would be nice.
Remainder of the house is heated by propane. Wouldn’t mind sizing it to cut down a little on propane use as well.
Any help is appreciated!
What's you zip code so I can check out your actual climate data? Ct varies a good deal across the state. Thanks

Found a P61 for $900, may counter offer on it. Anything to be aware of with this stove?

At that price I assume it lacks auto ignition which is a nice feature to have. If both the distribution and combustion blowers run and are quiet and the stove can be lit and runs the price seems in the ball park. It can be upgraded to auto ignition too but that's a tad spendy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Juddct