stove smoke spillage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

minesmoria

Dec 17, 2005
My current pe summit classic set up is 3 feet vertical double wall stove pipe then 90 elbow then 6" stove pipe then 24" of horizontal selkirk chimney then tee finally it goe's 19 feet straight up.

So that is a 30" horizontal run pretty long.

When i opened the stove door i get some smoke spillage comes out the top.
I was thinking of going 2 feet vertical pipe then 45 then 2 feet upwards then 45 again.

Check the pitch of the horizontal run. Is it running uphill towards the main stack? It should rise at least 1/4" per foot.

It seems to go on a slight down wards instead of up. To fix this is a big job got to take the ht silcone off the chimney then take the sidding off.

Do you think it would willy make a difference.

That sounds like the problem. Might be a lot easier to shorten the 3' double wall vertical run coming off the stove. Sounds like you need a telescoping piece there.

Just another thought do you crack the door for a bit before reload that will help with the spillage. down angle on the pipe is not good but 30" horizontal is not a real long run

Status
Not open for further replies.