Stove sometimes not lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I run mine on manual, it really doesn't use a lot more pellets.

smoke show said:
j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
stoveguy2esw said:
newpelletstove said:
So I called the store that sold me the stove. He told me that the igniter can be expected to fail once every year or two on these. Wow !! It's $110 just to buy one, and maybe $150 additional to have someone install it !! .

are you serious???!!!! :bug: WOW indeed! pretty danged expensive for a part expected to die that frequently

I'll take my cheapo stove with the $27.00 one set screw and removing a couple of knuckle scraper screws to get the air intake tube off system. That's too rich for this critter as well.

But its a Harman! The Cadillac of stoves. Nothing but the best! ;-)

Or was that Harmon? Or Harmin? I don't remember anymore! :red:

Jay, your not making any friends with comments like that. :eek:hh:

Even the overpriced, over engineered MtV AE ignitor isn't nearly that much. ;-)

Friends? What are those????

Defiant said:
Some of the Harmans I service produced in 2002 still have the original igniters.

yeah thats what i mean, i have units out there 12 years old with origional igniters in them, actually the majority of our units still have them in stalled, sometimes you get a popped igniter quickly but usually they last several seasons or more in our units, im sure most brands have a similar record on this

On a couple of occasions on my XXV I've had either a slow start where pellets will feed out enough to spill over the fire pot before igniting or a non-start and each time it was a matter of giving the inside of the ignitor chamber a cleaning, usually with a vac, to restore a fairly fast light of the pellets. I may look at tapping on the ignitor fins as well.

I do have a question about how the ignitor works to settle an argument with a friend.... are the holes at the front of the fire pot where the heat comes from to ignite the pellets (sort of like a hot air paint stripper). My friend believes the ignitor heats up the bottom of the fire pot which causes the ignition. He seemed to have a good reasoning for this, but I can't buy into what he says.

MarkF48 said:
On a couple of occasions on my XXV I've had either a slow start where pellets will feed out enough to spill over the fire pot before igniting or a non-start and each time it was a matter of giving the inside of the ignitor chamber a cleaning, usually with a vac, to restore a fairly fast light of the pellets. I may look at tapping on the ignitor fins as well.

I do have a question about how the ignitor works to settle an argument with a friend.... are the holes at the front of the fire pot where the heat comes from to ignite the pellets (sort of like a hot air paint stripper). My friend believes the ignitor heats up the bottom of the fire pot which causes the ignition. He seemed to have a good reasoning for this, but I can't buy into what he says.

Hot air flow does the ignition.

MarkF48 said:

The igniter on my Harman pellet furnace sits under the bottom row of burn-pot holes. It looks like combustion air is pulled thru the igniter mounting bracket across the igniter and thru the bottom row of holes. I used a hi intensity LED light and aimed it into the igniter bracket. (I moved the LED off a bit for the picture) You can see which holes are being fed the air thru the igniter bracket. Your layout may be different but may be the same Harman process.

Igniterlight.jpg
Igniterholes.jpg

MarkF48 said:

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan is quite a different place then Central MA, what up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.