1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stove/Stove Pipe temperature relationship?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tfdchief, Nov 20, 2010.

1. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I have an insert so I can not check my stove pipe temperature (I have a probe/temp. meter but haven't pulled the stove to install it yet) I have a thermometer on the stove. Just wondering if you guys that have both can tell me what the relationship between the two is. Is the Stove Pipe temperature typically lower, same, or higher than your stove temperature? I am sure there are times when the answer varies. What I am looking for mostly is when the stove is settled in to an average burn. Thanks, Steve

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

tfdchief once coals are established our stove top will run higher temps than the single wall pipe, we can run stove top temps of 600-650 and have the single wall pipe 400-500 depending on the air adjustment.

I have had the stove top 675 and the stove pipe 300.

zap

magnetic thermometers on the stove top and flue.
  3. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Exactly what I wanted to know, Thanks, Steve. Hope I hear from some others.
  4. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

At the moment I closed the air down and have a stove top temp of 550 and a flue temp of 350.

zap
  5. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Thanks. I kind of thought the flue temp. would be less than the stove top temp. but wasn't sure. I have a real nice probe/meter if I could get my stove out and get it strapped to the flue, but that is a lot of trouble and thought I would wait until I have to pull it out. Thanks Zap!
  6. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I am bumping my own thread hoping for some more replies. Thanks Zap for yours. I just would like a few more to confirm. Thanks, Steve
  7. oldspark

oldspark Guest

My response is the same as others, once the fire is established the flue will run 100 to 150 degrees below the stove top.
  8. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Thanks oldspark, so while getting the fire established, what do you see?
  9. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Flue temps will be higher on reloads and starup, on startup that means much higher in some cases, the flue could hit 550 to 600 while the stove top is at 200 to 250. Reloads are usually closer than that as the stove is warmed up already.
  10. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Thanks oldspark, that is what I guessed. One of these days I will get my new temp. probe on my SS flue liner and then I can read pipe temps directly from my temp. meter. Until then, thanks again for the replies.
  11. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    My experience is the same as everyone else . . . once the stove is up and running the flue temp is usually a bit less than the stove . . . the temps are close though . . . of course I'm measuring the flue temp internally with a probe and the stove temp on the outside with an IR gun.
  12. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Wow, close to the stove top with a probe, my flue temps are too high then I guess.
  13. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    oldspark, I'm not getting what you mean here?
  14. oldspark

oldspark Guest

Jake said his stove top and probe sensor were close, the probe is about 2 times higher than a surface mount, mine are close with a magnetic sensor so if you convert my temps to his flue temps I have a much hotter flue than stove top, I hope I made that clear. I am surprised by this so hope jake chimes in.
  15. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    OK, I get it now. That would seem a little strange.
  16. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Oops . . . I got them reversed . . . sorry about that Old Spark . . . thanks for pointing out my error . . .

Normally my probe thermo is running at 500-600 degrees (sometimes a bit cooler, sometimes a bit hotter) . . . while my stove is running at 450-600 degrees. Sorry folks . . . Dyslexic I don't think I am. ;)
  17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I just checked. Stove top 450. Flue 325.
  18. tfdchief

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Thanks, BS, the consensus seems to be the pipe running around 100 - 150 degrees less than the stove (both surface temperatures)