stove/stoves eating wood like candy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spam

May 11, 2011
southern RI
HI all, I have been burning for only 3 years. The first year I did not take stock of how much wood I used because I was getting my wood for free,last year I got 2 cords and just got by,only because I had some left over from years past(camp fire pit),this winter I have already burned a pallet of woodbricks (eco-log) and have burned about half of a cord! It seems to me that for my tiny house and tiny stove that this is WAY to much. Here is what I have.....
'1956 800 square foot home with R-19 in walls and attic
'1987 jotul #3 wood stove (new gaskets)
16 foot 304 ss flex-liner and 18" "T" kit

I also just installed a 1978 suburban coalmaster in my basement and that thing seems to eat wood even worse than the jotul! I installed it in the old oil boilers spot that has a 6"x8" clay liner 25 feet tall. I just started using this stove a few days ago so I could use some pointers,this stove also uses a stove pipe damper,something I am not used to .

I don't know the Suburban well but it sounds like you are trying to burn wood in a coal stove that is not designed for wood. The air supply and reburn systems are entirely different. If getting more heat using less fuel is the goal you would do much better to get a modern stove.

Is it a finished basement? do you need to heat it? If not that Jotul 3 should heat the main level just fine on its own. Some things you can look at to reduce your wood consumption is window replacement with good calking and insulation around your windows. Here in the Northwest we install R30 at a minimum in the attic with most homes it is closer to R40 or above.

Those two old/older stoves are going to eat some wood. It's just the way it is.

Look at it this way, you could be paying for oil.

Put in a pipe damper to slow down the draft and make the wood wood last longer.

On thing to check is the air control. I think this stove may have a thermostatic damper, is that correct? If so, watch it as the stove heats up and make sure it's closing off the air supply as the room warms.

Yes the jotul heats the main level,and almost to well 80f! I just have to feed it about two splits every hour and a half or so, is that normal? I am not concerned about the surburban in the basement,it is just to heat the workshop when I am down there a few hours each week,just wanted to know how to use a wood/coal circulator properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.