Stove Stuff Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbird560

Feb 2, 2011
SW Arkansas
Just trying to get an idea of what it will take to install the Fireview other than the stove. New to this and we will be doing the install ourselves with the help of some of our friends here on the mountain who have installed their own. I am wondering about the best flue pipe to use among all the different offerings. Our stove will be installed in our living area on the first floor which is a pretty good sized room with a cathedral ceiling. From the top of the stove to where the pipe goes through the ceiling should be around 12 ft. I think most people use single wall to the ceiling and double wall above the roof. What is the difference in performance between stainless flue pipe and
plain steel? I will need a spark arrestor cap on the chimney as fire is a constant danger in this remote section of the woods we live in. Please give me your experience in choosing components and the best sources if you have them.
Thanks,
Jbird

Can't always go by most people. It's generally not recommended to run 12ft in single wall because it cools down the flue gases too much. If you read the installation manual, it also recommends double-wall for over 8ft of connector. You have a cat stove and a long shoulder season. During milder weather the stove could be running on low with pretty cool flue temps. For good draft during milder weather and less creosote accumulation, I would go double-wall for the connector.

I have done well with Simpson products. They have a wide range of solutions. Check www.dynamitebuys.com and http://www.northlineexpress.com/category/chimney-pipe.asp.

I agree. Go with double wall. With the Fireview you may run slightly less flue temperature than with other stoves so you do not want too much heat loss, which you will get when using single wall.

I used single wall pipe on my install and later changed it to double wall and like it better.

Woodstock has a library of stuff on their website to tell you how to install and what to use. If it conforms to the UL listings required, you are good to go - verify what you need to do with something in writing (like from Woodstock's website) and if you are going to ask someone, ask the guys at Woodstock vs someone you may know that may or may not be knowledgeable about the latest stove set-up requirements. When I had my liner put in my chimney, I had to set the sweep straight in what was code and what was not AND had to bring the insurance agent/inspector straight on what was code.

You got a great stove - good luck,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.