Stove Temp Calibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldhippie

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2011
So since I have two stoves I bought a second guage. My previous CDW had a temp guage built into the trivot above the cat. But this new (to me) VC Resolute Acclaim doesn't have one so I picked up a 2nd one at the hardware store,

Of course I realize an $8.00 spring thermometer isn't going to be too accurate, but I questioned the old one's readings on the VC since they seemed so high.

So anyway, of course I put them side by side, and it didn't surprise me to see a major temp reading difference. Now I wonder which one is right. Also, I think the temp difference is even greater at the top end of the scale. Like 200'F difference when up in the 700+ range.

Is there anyway to calibrate one of these. How much does a temp gun cost? Maybe I can use it on the Harley too!

Steve
Ashby Ma,
Garrison One 1979 vintage
VC Resolute Acclaim

Attachments

• temp comparison.jpg
    temp comparison.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 462
  • Temp pic.jpg
    Temp pic.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 451
I don't think there is a way to calibrate those. You can pick up a temp gun for about $30 at home depot. Kind of funny they are exactly 100 deg apart.

My inferno reads 100' too high, and I went and bought an ir meter at home depot down from 30 to 20 bucks and has been the best purchase dialing in very accurate temps and I highly suggest. Good luck.

Bought an IR thermo at HD for 20 bucks. Only goes up to 600, but that is enough. Found my Condar thermo is off by approx. 100 degrees to the low side. Now I am shooting different areas in the house to determine where I need more insulation.

Put them both in your kitchen oven for a while, set at 400° or whatever, figure out which one reads most accurately as compared to the oven temp...keep that one and throw the other one away. What would you use an IR gun on your Harley for? Rick

>>> What would you use an IR gun on your Harley for?

The cylinder head temps get very hot when not running air over them, like doing a dyno tune, when you are setting air/fuel ratio for maximum performance at cruising speeds etc. As the EPA has it way with motorcycles heat from the engines is becoming a big issue, as a lean running engine is also a HOT running engine, which doesn't help performance, or longevity.

Your idea about putting them in the oven is good. I'm betting the older hot reading one is correct.

Steve

I use a Tel-Tru dual magnet surface thermometer. They make one that goes to 750 F if you look at the options on their ordering page.
I think it's about $48, but well worth it. Extremely responsive and very accurate. No more guessing. No more bent or messed up bi-metallic coils like the el cheapo hardware store thermometers.

index.php
index.php

That gauge still looks bi-metal to me..but way sturdier.

They should liquid cool all HD's.

>>> They should liquid cool all HD’s.

It won't be long, the EPA emission controls are forcing this. HD already is including oil coolers on most of the models. There is huge aftermarket in "Dyna-tune" technology that goes between the electronic control unit and the EFI throttle body to override the EPA lean and add fuel (and hence cooling effects and Horsepower) to the engines. This of course defeats all of the EPA purpose, adds more hydrocarbons to the air we breath, and voids any warranty you might have.

But it also turns those air cooled engines into wood-stoves with wheels. Some of the new ones run so hot that on a dark night you can see the head pipes glow. You know that can't be good for the engine.

There are some interesting analogies between wood burning and a internal combustion engine. It's all about the Air/Fuel ratio and getting the most energy out of the machine.

I know it's your thread but it will get closed because of off topic..lol.
We use fuel controllers on sleds too...because of epa and they are liquid cooled even..but can still burn them down.

It is all about A/F in stoves and IC engines..I concur...and good fuel of course!

Back on topic..
IR guns are cool and fairy accurate...for sure at least it will give you a reference point.
My cat loves chasing the red beam...lol...I can trick him into coming into the house when he's not ready with it too.

elmoleaf said:
I use a Tel-Tru dual magnet surface thermometer. They make one that goes to 750 F if you look at the options on their ordering page.
I think it's about $48, but well worth it. Extremely responsive and very accurate. No more guessing. No more bent or messed up bi-metallic coils like the el cheapo hardware store thermometers.

index.php
index.php

Have to agree. If you get a quality instrument you are much more likely to be keeping it for many years and will not be guessing at the temp. A glass protected dial and more robust bimetallic coil help the thermometer last longer. Our stove top thermometer is over 30 yrs old and still working well according to my IR readings.

Note: When checking a thermometer you need to check it over it's whole range. Some are accurate at say 300F, but off at the upper end of the scale, or vice versa.

Is the lens in that Tel-Tru glass or plastic?

I think all of their DM line is glass-faced.

I just ordered a Realtemp 50-750F to play with. Polycaronate lens so I will see if it melts if the 30 takes off. :-S

According to Wikipedia, polycarbonate's melting point is 512ºF. I'm surprised they are using it for a thermometer lens.

BeGreen said:
According to Wikipedia, polycarbonate's melting point is 512ºF. I'm surprised they are using it for a thermometer lens.

Won't be the first thermo to go "poof" and give off a puff of smoke on one of my stoves. :coolgrin:

BrotherBart said:
Not sure. The specifications on their website don't mention the lens material.
I can't really tell by tapping on it either. All I know is it's been up to 700F without any change to the lens.
The only thing that's happened so far is the original black color on the metal has now changed to a brass type color.

I like the white face. Not as pretty but easier for old eyes to read.

realstihl said:
Plus it has that rugged commercial no nonsense,I am correct look.

realstihl said:
Is your wood stove set into what used to be a closet?
I have old man eyes.

elmoleaf said:
BrotherBart said:
Not sure. The specifications on their website don't mention the lens material.
I can't really tell by tapping on it either. All I know is it's been up to 700F without any change to the lens.
The only thing that's happened so far is the original black color on the metal has now changed to a brass type color.

Ditto

HotCoals said:
realstihl said:
Is your wood stove set into what used to be a closet?
I have old man eyes.

It sets in an alcove. Might as well be a closet.

Status
Not open for further replies.