stove temp vs flue pipe temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattg1970

Apr 14, 2007
I am burning with an older Jotul 118. I have a thermometer on the side of the stove and it has been running between 400 and 500. I am using a double wall pipe so I cant tell how hot the flue pipe is getting . Would the stove temp be hotter than the flue temp?

When mine is running right I see about 100* difference between the pipe and the front of the stove. 400* on the stove, 300* on the pipe about 3 ft. up, just before it curves into the wall. On cold start up the stove takes a lot more time to show heat, the pipe will react much quicker.

In my limited experience, stove temp is higher. I got my infrared thermometer last week and between aiming it at the top or front of the stove, it's usually about 1.5-2x as warm as the unit mounted to the firebox.

I see about 75 degrees difference between the top of the stove and the pipe 18" up.

I used to think that flue temp would be hotter than stove, but some good input from BeGreen and others showed that it isn't often the case. Somewhere on here Begreen posted a great graph of his stove vs flue temps over a period of reloads - showed about a 50-100 split most of the time, with stove hotter than the flue.

On some older stoves the flue would get hotter than the stove. I think it depends on the ability of the stove to reburn the gases within the stove body (or not).

I'm curious about why the thermo is on the stove side. I would have it on the top cooking plate which should read much hotter.

mattg1970 said:
I am burning with an older Jotul 118. I have a thermometer on the side of the stove and it has been running between 400 and 500. I am using a double wall pipe so I cant tell how hot the flue pipe is getting . Would the stove temp be hotter than the flue temp?

I have a Jotul Castine stove. When the stove top is about 500 degrees, the inside of the pipe about 20 inches above the stove is about 625 degrees. I use two Rutland burn indicators on top of the stove and a Condar Flugard Thermometer through the pipe. I like to watch the relative temperatures, but I pay more attention to the temperature inside of the pipe because I believe that it is more relevant. I could be wrong.

While on the subject, I read somewhere that the inside pipe temperature is typically double the stove top temperture. It doesn't seem that it could be double the temperature or most of us would be operating our stoves at well in excess of the maximum safe pipe temperature. Still, the difference in my pipe temperature vs the stove is not that great. I am sure I have significant air leaks in the stove pipe which probably cools the gases down. I have to try stove cement to see if I am right.

I still advocate the notion of having some sort of 'standard reference' for discussions in this forum - EVEN IF - it doesn't 'fit' in all situations, scenarios.

I use a flue probe about 12" above the stovetop... even though the thermometer manufacturer recommends 18". I've come to trust it (at least as a relative indication) as to what both stove and flue are doing in sort of a 'close coupled' sense.

Experience tells me if the probe sez something near 600*, then I better pay close attention... but that figure can represent as much as 1000* or higher for an internal stovetop temp on my set up.

I wish there were an easy way to relate the two for all and sundry... but shoot... it doesn't look like there is.

Peter B.

-----

CZARCAR said:
hey genius,duh, 600 x 1.5 = 900!

Okay, genius (Thanks... I like the sound of it)...

How come is it the INTERNAL temps of both flue pipe and stovetop are reading 500+ and 800+ (respectively) right now?

Peter B.

-----

Status
Not open for further replies.