Stove temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
im looking for a little guidance here:

I have a wood stove insert with a 6" insulated liner all the way up the chimney. I recently bought a laser style thermometer. I know optimal burning range is between 300-500 f. My questions is: where is this reading coming from? The front of the stove, top of the stove, or the chimney liner? Because the readings from the stove itself and the liner are a huge difference. Thanks.

Typically best reading (hottest) is mid-center on the top. The door doesn't give a good reading.

What insert is this for? Some have a convective top so the reading will be cooler. In that case, on the upper face, above the corner of the doors is an option.

When I'm burning pretty good, I'm getting g readings on the side of the door area between 300-500 degrees. But when I take a reading on the liner about six inches up, I'm getting readings of about 200. I guess I'm confused as to where this "optimal burning" temp reading is supposed to come from. I can't imagine my liner getting much hotter than it already is.

I'm also only using a laser thermometer on the OUTSIDE of the liner. So that may be why there is such a difference??? I'm sure if I had a probe going into the liner the temp would Be much higher on the liner.

The exterior of the liner can be 100% cooler than the flue gases inside of it, so a 200F reading could mean the flue gases are 300-400ºF. Also, shiny surfaces don't always give accurate readings due to their different emissivity.

What insert is this?

Reactions: saydinli
Status
Not open for further replies.