1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
  1. Shaw520

Shaw520 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Modena
    Although not completely relative to heat convection,.. I think these thermometers are a great way to monitor your stove at a quick glance.

The intake/convection side runs aprox 150* lower than the exhaust side,... the black/gold thermo is the left side (exhaust),.. and the yellow/orange one lives on the right side, (intake/convection)
    The vent pipe typically runs at the same temp as the left side of the stove,.. with the door temps being just down from that.

A good operating temp seems to be 350* left side and 200* right side,... although Ive had the left side up to 450*

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dfolker4

dfolker4 Member

Loc:
    northern Michigan
    I just have one in the middle just above the door on my eco-choice and I find it fascinating the difference in temperature between brands, clean stove-dirty stove etc. A very useful tool.
  3. subsailor

subsailor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Winthrop, Maine
    I keep one on the left side of my stove too. I agree it's a good way to moitor what the stove is doing. I check mine constantly. Mine typically runs less than 300 this time of year, mostly closer to 200.
  4. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    I look at the thermostat on the wall. It tells me what temp the room is. I could not care to much about the stove cause I found in another post that if the glass burns you the stove is hot.

I am so smart.

Eric
  5. imacman

imacman Guest

You are a smart man....I thought only the fire was hot!
    kinsmanstoves likes this.