Stove thermometer reads 500, thermo gun reads 380...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Hello all,

The magnetic Rutland thermometer I put on the (black) pipe at the back of my charmaster was reading 500 yesterday (when I was firing it on purpose), but when I took a hand held remote temp reader, it was around 380 degrees. Am I missing something here or what? Is the magnetic one callibrated to indicate inside temp rather than surface temp or something?

I have an SBI magnetic surface temp on a single wall pipe and get about the same results.
By how the SBI is made it looks to me like it is mostly measuring the temperature of the air between the gage and pipe. They must then calibrate it to read what the surface temp would be in some standard conditions, room temp and amount of airflow.

I other words they are not near as accurate at showing what is inside the pipe as a probe type would be.

Can anyone here tell me who makes the probe type? I have done a search on yahoo and I can't come up with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.