stove top fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenergrass

Sep 28, 2006
Does anyone have one of those heat activated stove top fans? If so how well do they work? How loud are they? and at what temp do they activate? Thanks in advance.

I've got one on my wood insert and I have used it on my natural gas stove. They don't push a huge amount of air, though I do think they work somewhat. I read somewhere that they were shown to increase the temp of a wall across a room a few times quicker than without. One of the things that makes them so cool (I guess neat would be a better word) is that they don't have an apparent power source and they don't make any sound. I'm not sure exactly what temp they start working at, but I'd guess between 200 F and 300 F.

greenergrass said:
Does anyone have one of those heat activated stove top fans? If so how well do they work? How loud are they? and at what temp do they activate? Thanks in advance.

Get a $39 ceiling fan set it on low and forget it....that is the best bang for your bucks.

If you're going for the ceiling fan, spend a little more and get a Hunter or Casablanca. And a $75/hr electrician to install it.

We have the Ecofan on our stove and are happy with it. Quiet and does an decent job of keeping the heat even throughout the first floor.

greenergrass said:

Don’t waste your money!! The air movement is so minimal, the only thing I use mine for is to tell me that my stove is still hot (when the stove reaches below 190 degrees the fan blades stop turning). So at a glance I can tell if my fire is out just by looking at my expensive stove ornament.

What model stove is this on? What are the normal stove top temps? With a normal top temp of 500-600 the fan moves a fair amount of air. Try it with an incense stick.

BeGreen said:
If you're going for the ceiling fan, spend a little more and get a Hunter or Casablanca. And a $75/hr electrician to install it.

We have the Ecofan on our stove and are happy with it. Quiet and does an decent job of keeping the heat even throughout the first floor.

A little more??? When was the last time you priced a Casablnaca fan? I jsut had one go bad/bearings and it cost a 100 clams to have it rebuilt at the factory not including the shipping to there. Was told the replacement cost of this model was over $600 :bug:

We bought one new for the bedroom non-wallcontrol model and it was something like $250 a couple of years ago. They are quiet though. I installed my self as well. Hunter can be had for less me thinks.

BeGreen said:
What model stove is this on? What are the normal stove top temps? With a normal top temp of 500-600 the fan moves a fair amount of air. Try it with an incense stick.
Yes it does move air, but in my opinion very little. For $125.00 I think you could find somting that works better. 100 CFM (thats only when the stovetop is 575 - 600 degrees), is not much air movement.

I paid 99 on eBay for mine. When the power is out ( a few times a year here and sometimes for more than a day) I am a happy and comfortable camper. 100cfm or 6000cfh is a lot more than one might think. The object is to get the air circulating . I used to use a 150 cfm corner fan but this is much quieter and no cord.

We use on EcoFan on our Lopi Freedom. I paid 0 for it as it was a gift from my parents. :) I love it for the air it moves in total silence. I also use a small black corner fan to help move air out of the room into our kitchen area, but this provides just enough movement to get stuff moving, for us at least. We love that it is silent! We're happy with it. Plus, it works when the power is out, another plus. Nice gage of the temp of the firebox, you get used to how fast it's moving at different temps so you can just glance over and have an idea of the temp. There is another fan that works up to higher temps and moves a bit more air but is more expensive. It is called teh HeatWave and can be seen here http://www.thermalengines.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.