Stove top ovens?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrianK

I've often searched the internet for ovens that can be placed on top of our wood stoves for baking. The two most common I've found are the Coleman folding camp ovens (I've got one but never tried it) and the Perfection oven sold at Lehman's Hardware in Ohio.

I just stumbled upon a new modular oven made from high density cast refractory. I don't see a price yet but this unit looks promising:

Outdoor Kitchen – The Oven – Part 2
September 5, 2013 by SMathieu Leave a Comment

Here is the oven that we will use in our outdoor kitchen. As you can see it assembles in less than 90 seconds, yet ships flat. The joints will of course be filled with clay mortar when it is installed. Here is a quick video of its assembly.

The groves are for adjustable shelves. The interior is 12×12.

Reactions: DevilsBrew and pen
I have an old one that we used to use on a kalamazoo cook stove that I keep threatening to modify to work atop my 30.

Never seen one like you mentioned. Wonder how quickly it heats up compared to the light metal ones

pen

I have an old one that we used to use on a kalamazoo cook stove that I keep threatening to modify to work atop my 30.

Never seen one like you mentioned. Wonder how quickly it heats up compared to the light metal ones

pen

I'd imagine it takes a while to heat up. They are building this oven as part of a rocket stove outdoor kitchen and it looks like they are placing it inside one of the "bells" of the rocket heater, not over the riser (which in this illustration is covered by a cast iron cook top):

Outdoorkitchen2.jpg

Where does that dragon heater vent? Is the exhaust routed around the oven?

Griswold made them in different sizes. One with glass front was called the BOLO, stands for Big Oven / Little Oven. They are a good size with two racks. We use them as a bread box and pie safe while not in use. 20" wide, 14" deep, 18" high.
Griswold BOLO oven.jpg Griswold BOLO oven 2.jpg

Reactions: BrianK
Griswold made them in different sizes. One with glass front was called the BOLO, stands for Big Oven / Little Oven. They are a good size with two racks. We use them as a bread box and pie safe while not in use. 20" wide, 14" deep, 18" high.
View attachment 111046 View attachment 111047

That's a well designed and nicely sized unit. Hard to find one at a reasonable price, judging by a quick search.

Have they posted a price for the oven? Can you buy a cast oven separately on the internet?

Have they posted a price for the oven? Can you buy a cast oven separately on the internet?

I sent them an email and they said they will be selling the oven as a stand alone accessory. They are also developing a door for it. I have not received any info on pricing.

What type of door do you use on an outdoor oven? I have only seen people rig metal sheets on youtube.

What type of door do you use on an outdoor oven? I have only seen people rig metal sheets on youtube.

I'm not sure. I asked about using it on top of a wood stove. Here is their response:

Yes it is available for separate purchase. Do you need a door? We are working on a door.

The oven currently has tabs at the back for resting on a flue. You may not want the tabs if you are just going to set it on top of a stove.

Coaly - you got any guess to the vintage of those Griswold stoves? They are pretty darn cool.

Reactions: BrianK
Old thread, but the ultimate stove top oven sold on eBay for $200 and I've never seen one like it. AFTER it sold I found they retailed for $300 when made, probably should have gone for it. Stainless Steel, no longer made, by Pacific Energy.

PE Stove Top Oven 1.JPG PE Stove Top Oven 2.JPG

PE Stove Top Oven 3.JPG PE Stove Top Oven 5.JPG Even a strap on the back to connect to stove pipe.

Looking at this design, and price, I'm tempted to pick up an old toaster oven, (OK, on trash day) remove the electrics and bottom and make a stainless baffle with holes for the bottom. Glass door is the most important so it doesn't need to be opened while baking.

Coaly - you got any guess to the vintage of those Griswold stoves? They are pretty darn cool.

Here's some ads I came across from 1924 for the Griswold BO-LO. I never knew what was meant by big or little oven, and found my "Flue Plate" that I never knew existed was slid in at the very top like an oven rack. I thought it was the oven top inside. It's a double wall plate that you slide into the rack where you want to make the oven smaller. So it heats a smaller area quicker on the bottom when not so much room is needed. An adjustable roof inside. It heats much faster when only heating the area you need instead of waiting for the entire area to heat.

Griswold BoLo 1924 Ad.JPG Plates shown removed on left.

Griswold BoLo.JPG

So when I slid the false top out of the oven, the directions are stamped into the flue plate!

BOLO plate 1.JPG Without it, the heat radiates through the single wall oven top and doesn't heat. EDIT ; So measuring from the bottom rack, I can make the heated area 6 inches, or 10 inches high. It will get a lot more use knowing it heats much faster when set right. Duh.........

Last edited:
You can use any closed pot or roaster as an oven. I do all the time. You can set it directly on the cooktop or soapstone if you have the item you are baking elevated in the "oven", or you can set an oven rack over the stove and set the "oven" directly on the rack with the item being baked sitting on the bottom of the "oven" (no internal rack). Advantage: you don't need any more "tools" around the house.

That Griswold looks fine.

We have two stove top ovens used as a bread box and pie safe when not in use.
The manufacturer of that oven states "not for use with soapstone". That's why it was sold on eBay. It wouldn't bake without removing the bottom shield and cooking on stove top. The seller said cookies had to be finished by removing bottom shield and finishing on stove top.
The only time my wife uses the extra ovens is when the cook stove oven is full. The stove top is in the 600 range when oven is on anyway. Some cakes don't do well opening a door or changing temperature to check them.
So we're way beyond a cover or roaster. The reason it's nice to double bake on top as well is the temperature rise in the house while baking. If you're going to bring it up to temp in the summer, you do it all at once. The PE oven holds 4 loaves, the Griswold 8. For pizza, these don't get near as hot as the cook stove oven.
Last week the electric toaster got bumped for a stainless stove top toaster ! These things are more than an electric one!

Bromwell Toaster 2S.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.