Stove top temp drop with fans.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
Maybe 10 -15 mins difference in pics.

About 15 hours into a burn...temps were steady since 5 tonight.
You can see the cat probe dropped way more temp then the IR. Cat probe giving false reading.
Next I'll try the same thing but temps maybe around 600 or so...maybe tonight.

Attachments

• temps 001.jpg
    temps 001.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 487
  • temps 002.jpg
    temps 002.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 489
Is this with integral fan or external? When the fan (integral) is not running on my Buck 81, it will easily boil water. With the fan running you can sit on it.

MrWhoopee said:
Is this with integral fan or external? When the fan (integral) is not running on my Buck 81, it will easily boil water. With the fan running you can sit on it.
Twin fans that came with the stove...on high.
They blow pretty good.

Did the test again but added the Condor mag.
Same thing of course but I have to say that Condor has been the most accurate thermometer I have ever owned.

Attachments

• temps 004.jpg
    temps 004.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 413
  • temps 006.jpg
    temps 006.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 411
Ok..I ran it up to 500..I don't want to get the house too hot.

Anyways not much drop in tep..seems like less of a drop the higher go.
Condor mag shows 50 degree drop..cat prop dropped more it seems.
Guess my fans are junk..lol.
But you can ask the other BK guys..they blow strong on high.
I even moved the mag over so it was more in front of the fan.

Hang on..I got the wrong pics..lol.

These stoves don't count, the T-stat may be adjusting to keep the temp up. For this test to work you need to also watch the T-stat at the same time, looks like you're pulling the cover off again! :lol:

My Endeavor would knock 100* off the stove top with the fans on high according to the IR gun. I still think that stove has one of the best heat transfer systems in the business.

rdust said:
These stoves don't count, the T-stat may be adjusting to keep the temp up. For this test to work you need to also watch the T-stat at the same time, looks like you're pulling the cover off again! :lol:

My Endeavor would knock 100* off the stove top with the fans on high according to the IR gun. I still think that stove has one of the best heat transfer systems in the business.
You think that t-stat is that sensitve..lol.

Trust me it was holding steady.
By-pass open to keep the cat out of it.

If you look good the Condor reads lower then the IR after the fan has been on awhile.
Turn the fan back off and the Condor comes back up to meet the ir in just a few mins.

Had the t-stat at the lowest level so that i know it didn't open.

Also if you notice the cat probe really dropped with the fan on..even though i was in by-pass.

11 mins with fan on high.

Attachments

• temps 009.jpg
    temps 009.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 365
  • temps 011.jpg
    temps 011.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 349
We believe you! Your stove top temp is not influenced by your fans, we got it. :lol:

rdust said:
We believe you! Your stove top temp is not influenced by your fans, we got it. :lol:

THANK YOU!

Somebody believes something I say! lol
Still the best dang stove in the world!
At least in my opinion for what it's worth!

Now lets see a stove that is...

HotCoals said:
rdust said:

THANK YOU!

Somebody believes something I say! lol
Still the best dang stove in the world!
At least in my opinion for what it's worth!

Now lets see a stove that is...

also a great summer washing machine? :coolsmirk:

Sorry, I'm bad. Couldn't resist.

BeGreen said:

I admit they're far from the best looking stoves but if you can show me one that performs better it'll be on my hearth. I think a Princess or Chinook would be a great stove for your somewhat mild climate. :coolgrin:

grgrin.gif

Oh, I misunderstood, thought when you turned the fan on it was causing the stove temps to drop too much. But you were talking about the cat probe dropped not the surface IR reading.

What battleaxe was pointing out on his "non-cat" was he was turning his fan on too early before letting the heat build good and when he did turn the fan on it would make the stove not perform as well. But letting the heat build a little higher gave the stove enough built up heat to not be effected as much by the fan and the stove would keep a cruising on at a good rate.

One thing to remember is on stoves that like mine and I think other stoves are similar as in the back shroud has the blower attached and the air gets blown up the back and up over the top of the stove. This air flow will cool the suface temp of the stove and most of these readings are just surface temp readings. So the readings will change if there is a air flow over that surface.

But also pointing out Hotcoals stove is a Blaze King Cat stove and it may also be different in blower design.

HotCoals said:
Huntindog1 said:
For why?
Though I did read it.
I'm just trying to show the fan will not drop temps that much..at least not on my stove.
It runs fine.
I could crank 800 or more if I wanted to.

Would love to see others try this.

All I know is if i'm running a 600* stovetop IR checked and turn on those dual blowers I can hit 80* quick in my house which is way too warm for us. We only use the blowers when we want a quick warmup and they work great.They are a little noisy but nothing we can't live with,hell the blowers on my Buck 94nc burnt up and melted all the electrical wires in the stove the first time we used them.We had to open every window in the house to get rid of the burnt rubber smell,chitcanned that stove in a week.

I was just trying to show people that fans don't drop the stove temp much..at least not on mine.
I never use the fans really.

My stove top will drop 100+ degrees if the fans are on.
Stove top will sit at about 130-140 with fans on as low as it goes, 220-230 fans off.

Fans on high, Stove on 3, difference is well more than 100.
My stove top is a convection deck though... so I believe it's different than your set up.

"so I believe it’s different than your set up"
A point not to be forgotten.

Hass said:
Stove top will sit at about 130-140 with fans on as low as it goes, 220-230 fans off.

My stove top is a convection deck though... so I believe it's different than your set up.

I have noticed the Chinook has way lower stove top temps then the king..why is that?
Is there more space above the cat or something?

HotCoals said:
Hass said:

I have noticed the Chinook has way lower stove top temps then the king..why is that?

smaller stove, I haven't been able to get it above 550 yet in quite a few tries. None on hardwood though.
It will get to 500-525 pretty quick, then a slow rise to 550 then sits there until it falls back down.
Chinook has a convection deck on top of the whole thing, I don't believe the king does. Convection deck is about 2" or so above the actual stove top. There aren't any fins or anything connecting it to the actual stove top, just the sides. I imagine the actual stove top may get to 600... But by the time you figure it heat loss transferring up to the deck it may drop down to 550.

Hass said:
HotCoals said:
Hass said:

smaller stove, I haven't been able to get it above 550 yet in quite a few tries. None on hardwood though.
It will get to 500-525 pretty quick, then a slow rise to 550 then sits there until it falls back down.
Chinook has a convection deck on top of the whole thing, I don't believe the king does. Convection deck is about 2" or so above the actual stove top. There aren't any fins or anything connecting it to the actual stove top, just the sides. I imagine the actual stove top may get to 600... But by the time you figure it heat loss transferring up to the deck it may drop down to 550.
Ah..I was just looking at the Chinook.
I bet the convection deck does lower your readings a lot.
The Ultra has a deck that covers the top from the back to I think about half way..my King does not.
I can see how your fans would drop the temp more..thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.