Stove type - lets start there..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@webfish just got a new Quad Explorer III. It's a great looking stove with a lot less moving parts than the Defiant. It also comes in porcelain mahogany which would look good in that location.

So far love the stove. Only about 10 fires so far. Minnesota and 70 degrees today. Still love the look of the Explorer 3 . Real easy to use and control.

Reactions: bigpig
Based on the photo of your room, the first stove that came to my mind was Hearthstone. One of their soapstone models like the Mansfield would look really nice!

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-clearance-to-freestanding-wood-stove.155497/

upload_2016-7-27_9-27-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow is right. Just sold one of those babies, what a pretty stove. If it heats like the Isle Royale (or better), that is going to be a winner... I always liked the looks of the IR burning...

I think it will heat differently than the IR. The IR is a cast iron stove inside and out. It's an easy breather and radiates intensely. The Explorer is a cast-iron jacketed steel stove. That should buffer the radiate heat and soften it. My guess it at the Explorer will heat more like the Jotul F45/50/55 and the PE Alderlea series.

So.. install quotes and recommendations coming in. One installer refused to install anything but a Hearthstone Homestead since we didn't want to extend the Hearth. Included outside breather kit and mantel protector in the spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that installer an exclusive Hearthstone dealer? There should be many other options.

Is that installer an exclusive Hearthstone dealer? There should be many other options.

Nope - they carry Quadrafire, Jotul and a bunch of others. I originally asked for the Quad Exp III. Apparently the smaller depth of this particular model mean the hearth clearances are the safest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about adding a hearth extension board in front of the current hearth?

One installer refused to install anything but a Hearthstone Homestead since we didn't want to extend the Hearth
That's the guy I would want working on my house.. did know you had Bhollar come up by you for a quote (insert humor here)

Yes, to extend it would be good to match the existing hearth stone. Can be done.

Still, with such a large and deep fireplace it would seem there are other options. What is the depth of the current hearth?

@webfish just got a new Quad Explorer III. It's a great looking stove with a lot less moving parts than the Defiant. It also comes in porcelain mahogany which would look good in that location.

Good choice!
Maybe its just me, maybe I'm lazy, or maybe, being retired, thinking about old-age, but:
1) Moving parts & simplicity are important to me (KISS)
2) Ability to easily clean the stack & access to it (easily removable baffle, e.g. -- ability to get to stovepipe from both top & bottom)

Some of these wood stoves construction look like nightmares to do the yearly cleaning on, great for the sweeps I guess, but I always look
at a stove in that way. Don't ever regret spending time on your research -- you'll likely have to live with your decision for a long time.

With a 30" deep fireplace and what looks like an 18" hearth, it sure looks like a 28" deep (Explorer III, Jotul F55, Enviro Boston) stove could fit in there. Surely the 20" deep Hearthstone Manchester would be an easy fit.

Hope this clarifies. One dealer said he could fit the Quad Explorer 2 or 3 if using 2x30 degree bends. I guess he means to run the pipe at the angle of the incline in the fireplace allowing the stove to be pushed back more. Which leads me to wonder whether something like the P5 would be better given the flue is coming out the top.

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 148
Hope this clarifies. One dealer said he could fit the Quad Explorer 2 or 3 if using 2x30 degree bends. I guess he means to run the pipe at the angle of the incline in the fireplace allowing the stove to be pushed back more. Which leads me to wonder whether something like the P5 would be better given the flue is coming out the top.
That makes more sense. The offset is no big deal. And yes, a PE T5 would also work.

Kinda down to choosing between the quad explorer II or PE T5. Where the heck though do you find mantel clearance numbers (mine is wooden)? I've scoured both manuals and unless mantels are not referred to as mantels I can't see any reference there. Reason is the installers want to add a metal deflector so I'm looking into which have the better clearances to see if that is avoidable.

Looks like a mantel shield would be necessary for any wood stove there. The wood goes right down to the fireplace opening.

You'll need metal regardless. Directly above the stove less than 2 feet gets HOTTTTT. like too hot to touch for more than a second or so.

Thanks. Placed the order today for an Explorer II in mahogany enamel w/blower & outside air.

Please take pics when it's installed. It should look great in that nice fireplace.

Yes . . . pictures please. We are very visually oriented here.

Status
Not open for further replies.