Stove will not burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChiefCharlie

Nov 18, 2020
New York
Bought a hearthstone heritage catalytic stove last year. Glass on door never stayed clean as promised. This year I cannot start a fire. Newspaper lights and goes out shortly after closing the door apparently due to oxygen being depleted. Minimal smoke from chimney which is clear. Called dealer and was told there was a 45 day wait. Now with Covid restrictions I had to reschedule with NY store. Another 2 week wait. Any suggestions?

The first place to check is the catalyst. Make sure that it is not plugged with ash. The second thing to check is the chimney cap. If it is screened, see if it is plugged with creosote.

Glad I didn’t get a catalyst unit. For my job I own a diesel delivery truck, and it has a very restricting catalytic emission reduction system. (SCR) selective catalytic reduction. A cat converter with a urea based enzyme spray injected at high pressure and boom clean burning. It fails a lot. I’m wary of these on stove inserts.

Glad I didn’t get a catalyst unit. For my job I own a diesel delivery truck, and it has a very restricting catalytic emission reduction system. (SCR) selective catalytic reduction. A cat converter with a urea based enzyme spray injected at high pressure and boom clean burning. It fails a lot. I’m wary of these on stove inserts.
Not saying that a fireplace injects a DEF type spray into its emission stream. But that catalytic systems are fundamental flawed in their tendency to clog.

Not saying that a fireplace injects a DEF type spray into its emission stream. But that catalytic systems are fundamental flawed in their tendency to clog.
Totally different animal, this more or less might be like running water mixed with diesel.
OP when was the chimney last cleaned? What kind of wood have you been burning? This years wood, how long has it been split and stacked, what the moisture reading on a room temp, freshly split face?
Have you checked behind the cat combustor to make sure there are no blockages?

Got the air open all the way? Could be something really simple you forgot about in the "off season".

Check all the things these fellas have said but I wanted to add that when I cold start a stove I leave the door open a few inches until things take off, just enough so that no smoke backpuffs in but just enough to take off then I close it and watch it. But the newspaper for the last several years chars more than burns, I always complain to my wife "this newspaper burns like wet dog****!" lol! I don't know what changed over the years but in years past it would light up nicely, now it seems to just want to turn black and char, so that might also factor into to it just a bit anyway.

Good luck, I am sure there will be an answer found soon!