Stovepipe Durock/stone clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodseller

Jul 16, 2016
Virginia
I am finishing my basement. I have an existing woodstove vented with single wall stove pipe through the concrete block wall via a clay thimble into a masonary chimney. I have had the chimney relined with stainless steel. I plan to build wall 1" off the concrete block with metal studs faced with 1/2 Durock and cultured stone. My question is what clearance is required where stovepipe will pass through the Durock and stone? I cant find refrence to this aplication. Can the stone but up to stovepipe with no clearane or would I still need a thimble?

It sounds like the entire construction will be non-combustible. If so, there are no clearance issues to worry about. I would leave a small gap around the pipe to allow for expansion and easy servicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.