Stovepipe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I have a probe thermometer for a double wall stovepipe installation. Optimum range suggests keeping temps between 350 & 900. I just picked up a magnetic stovepipe thermometer for some single wall and it's optimum range says between 250 & 450. Why the difference?

Just presuming here... I coukl be wrong. :)

Doublewall stovepipe has less radiant heat loss, thus higher internal temps. Singlewall or standard smokepipe radiates exhaust heat, resulting in slightly lower internal temps. I'm guessing this may explain the swing of suggested optimum readings between the two.

In either instance, the farther from the stove collar you measure, the lower your temps will be. Not a whole lot but enough to see a difference. Gives you a closer measurement of stack or flue temp past the thimble.

Probe thermometers are suggested for doublewall pipe.

It is the difference between an actual "internal" reading of gas temp compared to the surface temp of a stove pipe. The general rule of thumb is that surface temp is ~half of the internal readings.
Surface at 300F = ~600 internal.

It is the difference between an actual "internal" reading of gas temp compared to the surface temp of a stove pipe. The general rule of thumb is that surface temp is ~half of the internal readings.
Surface at 300F = ~600 internal.

That makes sense and would be in line for both optimal readings on each thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.