stovepipe to thimble connection ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE

Oct 15, 2008
Upstate NY
Hello to all,
I hit up the search but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I have a new wood stove going into my new masonry chimeny that is 8x8"clay lined masonry.
My freestanding wood stove has a 6" Stove pipe that exists through an approximate 7.5" I.D. clay thimble. I placed a 7" adapter on the end of the stove pipe to take up some of the play and flushed it to the far end of the thimble. I then wrapped glass fiber rope around the interior side of the thimble to eliminate any draft that may occur.
My question is does the connection, where I now have the rope, need to be cemented or mortared into place?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

edited to clarify

Is this such a painfully obvious question that Im not getting a response or do I need to be more specific with what I am doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.