stoves that exhaust out the back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whiskeyrichard

Hearth Supporter
Dec 12, 2006
I am looking to replace an old stove in my house. It goes directly into a masonry chimney. The height of the place where the stove pipe goes into the masonry chimney is not very high, it is about 33 inches measured from the surface the stove sits on to the center of the entrace to the masonry chimney.

Most of the stoves I have been looking at are too tall, so I have started looking for a stove where the stove pipe comes out the back instead of the top.

Do these stoves draft as well as a stove where the pipe comes out the top? If so, it seems like they may be the solution to my problem.

This particular stove will be in the lower level of a house, will be the primary heat provider for the entire house which is about 1500 square feet. I have a country s160 upstairs that I use as well, but most of the time our downstairs stove is the only stove running.

Thanks for the advice.
WR

Several stoves offer short leg kits which may help broaden your selection assuming the hearth meets stove requirements. What type of stove do you prefer, steel, cast iron or soapstone? How large a stove are you looking for?

I had the same issue but mine was 28". that's why I went with the rear venting Vermont castings stoves they have a reverseable flue collar the Harman oak wood does as well

Both my Jotul Castine and my Quadrafire Isle Royale have a reversible collar at the back, so it can vent from the top and the back, depending on placement.

Carpniels

My woodfurnace vents from the back and is in the basement and it still drafts extremely well.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I am most likely going to be looking for a steel stove. That is what I have now. I have looked at the cast iron stoves, but they were quite a bit more expensive. I was looking at the morso brand. I liked the look of the morso stoves, but read a couple bad reviews of them on this site.

I am little bit limited to the stoves that the local dealer carry. I do not want to mail order. I like the country stoves, but I do not think they have a model that will exhaust out the back.

We have a had quite a cold spell here in northern california. I have been running my little country stove pretty hard and it has been working real well. I had some drafting issues with it early on, but as the weather gets colder it seems to draft better.

WR

The Morso contingency should soon be coming online. They have a loyal following and generally seem to work quite well. I think the 3610 might work for you.

I think you are going to have a problem finding a rear venting steel wood stove. In fact I can't think of a one of the current steel stoves that you can rear vent. Lots of the cast iron stoves can top or rear vent but not any of the steel ones that I have seen.

I hope I am wrong and that somebody can point you toward one.

I searched for a bit and couldn't either. Corie, looks like an opportunity in the making.

hrmmm,

I have a rear venting stove on the drawing board right now actually. Probably a little big for your needs and its also a coal burner to boot. Man I need to start a stove company more sooner than later.

You guys were right. No steel stoves that vent out the back. I ended up buying a Haman Oakwood. I read some reviews and it seems like Harman is a good brand. The stove is pretty nice. I am looking forward to the long burn times. The manual says 12-16 hours on a full load. Wow.

I am going to have build a platform on my existing hearth to get the new stove up high enough to vent straight back into the hole in my flu, but that should not be too bad.

If any of you have any quick suggestions that I should take into consideration while building this platform, I'd appreciate the advice.

What I am think of right now is a couple rows of cement blocks covered with something (suggestions here would be cool) and then tile over that and around the sides of it to finish it out.

What do you think?

Thanks,
WR

Awesome WR, keep us posted. I really like that stove and look forward to hearing how it performs. Post pictures too! Did you get the optional grille?

Maybe consider having a platform welded up so that you have wood storage underneath? Take a look at Jaquith's installation in this thread. The picture is about midway down the page.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4837/

The Oakwood is a class act. You are going to love your stove. Let us know when to be there for the steaks cooked on that grill.

I did not get the optional grill. I kinda blew my wad on the stove. I'll recover from that quickly and plan on getting the grill and the sides as well.

Can't wait to fire it up.

Thanks for all your advice and especially the picture and idea for the metal raised platform. There is a welding shop nearby, I think I'll commision them to knock this out for me. Very good idea!

I'll send pics and a report when I get her fired up.

WR

Good choice great stove.

I went back to you prior post and did a little math
It seems you have about 7" difference the oakwood stove rear outlet being lower.

Is there any way with elbows and flexible stainless steel pipe to make up the dirrerence?

Can you post a picture of your current setup. I have some ideas

I would love to hear your ideas elkimmeg. If I could get around having to build a platform, that would be great.

While at the stove store I suggested using some elbows to make the connection, but the guy at the store said he though it would adversely effect my draft.

I have almost 20 feet of masonry chimney I'll be connecting to.

I do not have a way to get pictures and get them posted right now. Here is my best at describing the setup:

The stove is going to be installed parallel to the way. There is a brick hearth that comnes out from the wall 41 inches and is 36 inches wide. There is a bricked in chimey going up the wall right behind it that is also 36 inches wide. Inside the chimney is an flu made of (I think) 8x12's and goes up for about 20 feet. There is a "thimble" where the stove pipe connects to this chimney that is, at it's very bottom, about 30 inches off the hearth.

Is that enough to get by without a picture?

WR

Status
Not open for further replies.