Stovetop Thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
MO
I have a winterwarm small that I have installed flush. I bought a thermometer for it to place on the door because that's the only place I can put on on it but i haven't received it yet . So my question is, is there a way I can gauge the door temp vs the actual stovetop temp? I fired it up over the weekend and of course the top got hot before the door did and so I just want to make sure I don't overfire it this winter because it's hotter on top than the door. Maybe there's not enough of a difference in the two to worry about it but I wanted to check with you guys.

Not sure if it works with the winterwarm but that is what I did for my insert:

I removed the surround and the top of the convective shell to expose the actual stovetop. For about 3 days I burned in the insert and measured the hottest spot on the top with my IR thermometer and then the hottest spot in the front (Which for me is right in the center above the door.) That spot in the front is about 100 F less early in the burn and becomes about 50 F less during the peak to almost the same as the stovetop later. Knowing those temp differences I put everything back together and now I check the spot in the front to get an idea how hot the top is.

Door readings aren't great. Can't find a good enough picture but if you can, get it in the vent. That would be better. Place center back towards flue and orient it so that the needle points straight out at 500 or so. Can also get an IR and play, they're cheap enough.

Yeah I have tested many times and the results of temps on the front of an EPA stove and on the stove top run around 150 degrees different. Because the air wash come down across the front and the glass and cools it.

Status
Not open for further replies.