Straight chimney -- with one exception

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runderwo

Hearth Supporter
Mar 12, 2009
tulsa, ok
I would like to use 6" rigid liner. I have a chimney that is totally straight, with one exception: there is about a 4 inch "shelf" jutting out just above the fireplace. Is anyone familiar with workaround for this sort of thing or must I instead snake a flexible liner around it?

runderwo said:
I would like to use 6" rigid liner. I have a chimney that is totally straight, with one exception: there is about a 4 inch "shelf" jutting out just above the fireplace. Is anyone familiar with workaround for this sort of thing or must I instead snake a flexible liner around it?

Not too thick cast iron and concrete smoke shelf? If you knock it out with an angle grinder and chisel is it then a straight shot?

Yeah, it doesn't look too thick. I didn't know what purpose it served so I wasn't sure if I could safely remove it.

The jut out you are talking about is called a smoke shelf and is designed to enhance the draft of your fireplace. Your fireplace damper sits just below this smoke shelf. Without the smoke shelf and damper your fireplace will not draft properly as a fireplace.

Now, if you are installing a stove, you have to reline your fireplace chimney to reduce it's size to either 6 or 8 inches (whatever size your stove requires). In order to accomplish this 6 or 8 inch liner install, most people only have to cut out a portion of the existing damper in order to get their new liner in place. In order to make this jog in the chimney there are options to use a flex liner from the top of the chimney all the way down to your stove, or, rigid liner from the top down to the smoke shelf and then attach flex to make the jog. Some people have to partially remove part of their smoke shelf in order to accomplish this install.

All of this is good as long as a stove is in place. If you, or a future homeowner, would want to go back to using this space as a fireplace it is my understanding that the smoke shelf would have to be reconstructed if any part of it was removed to install the stove liner. That homeowner would also have to reinstall a damper or a pull down chimney cap instead of a damper.

Shari

There are short flex sections of pipe that mate with the rigid liner so that you can snake past the damper and smokeshelf. Download the Simpson DuraLiner catalog or go online to ventingpipe.com to look at the options.

I used Duraliner down the chimney then converted to oval flex pipe [heavy duty] to get through the damper/shelf area. Then to a tee and into the stove. Piece of cake. The Duraliner has drafted like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.