Strange fuse blowing issue with St. Croix York insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The one my pen is pointing too is the one connected to pin 6, to be exact, the left leg and the one tech dude said that left leg is a ground?
Anyway, it has the same number on it as the one below it.
Numbers from top to bottom:
MAR 836
IMG_20161130_152808300_zpsi2dseya4.jpg

Sorry for slow response Clay H, I didn't realize you posted picture and triac numbers. It's a 6006 with the TO 263 package type. Try measuring for a short between the top pin (MT2) and bottom left pins (MT2). The right lower pin is the Gate which turns device on and allows AC current to flow between MT1 amd MT2. If shorted the MT1 and MT2 pins usually have low resistance (several ohms). Compare this triac to surrounding triacs to see if there is large difference in resistance (ohms).

Attachments

• 1480639081758.jpg
    1480639081758.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 123
Sorry for slow response Clay H, I didn't realize you posted picture and triac numbers. It's a 6006 with the TO 263 package type. Try measuring for a short between the top pin (MT2) and bottom left pins (MT2). The right lower pin is the Gate which turns device on and allows AC current to flow between MT1 amd MT2. If shorted the MT1 and MT2 pins usually have low resistance (several ohms). Compare this triac to surrounding triacs to see if there is large difference in resistance (ohms).
Thanks, that makes more sense on how to test. I'll have to wait as I had to put my stove back in operational condition (without igniter) and hand light it while this cold front goes through. I'll test it later in the week when its supposed to get back into the mid 50s. But I still have an issue with finding someone to repair it if it is bad. Hell if its bad and I can confirm that, I'll feel much better about buying a new board if it comes to that. This will at least give me something to talk to Tech support about though and maybe St. Croix can recommend someone to do the repair. Cost of repair maybe close to same as a new board I'm thinking though. Maybe not if I have already diagnosed the issue though.

Hopefully you can isolate issue to that part. Generally you can buy them from Digi-key, or Newark, ebay, etc for $5 each or so. Any electronic tech that fixes electronics like radios, tv's, etc could desolder and resolder this for you for a reasonable fee. A new board is probably $200. Good luck.

Any news? Feedback would be nice...

Any news? Feedback would be nice...
Its been too cold to shut the stove off and take it outa commission lol. It's gonna warm up a bit this week so I think I'll shut it off one day while I'm off work and get this done. Will report back later!

I still need to do this. Supposed to hit 66* tomorrow and just as warm Sat. so I think so thats a good time to do it.