Strange looking wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noslo65

Jan 2, 2008
Central Illinois
I just brought home some free wood to split. I was not sure what species it was but it was very heavy and looked like good hardwood. The center looked dark similar to walnut. When I got some split I then saw that the center was black and yellowish. Anybody know what it is.

Attachments

• DSC_0146.jpg
    DSC_0146.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 705
  • DSC_0145.jpg
    DSC_0145.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 693
Clicking on the thumbnail doesn't give a bigger picture. The bark is hard to see in such a small picture. Hickory? Check out this link https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11650/ It's been a while since I split mulberry. It seems that mulberry is a two toned wood but not a drastic as your picture. I'll say hickory based on the pic and your 'real heavy' description.

Orange Osage?

I've had poplar look like that, but I can't tell from the bark. Poplar will be super-heavy when you fiorst cut it. Does it have any fragrance that you could describe?

I picked this wood up at our landscape recycle center. I went back there again on my lunch for some more wood, there was a gentlemen there that was picking up some of the same wood. He said it was box elder. Does this seem correct.

IMHO, not box elder. Box elder is very light / white with really unique red streaks running through it. In the maple family IIRC. Super light when dry like willow or even balsa. Worthless (almost) as firewood. I had some fall in the yard and did burn it in the stove.

JD in PA

It does not matter too much. I am going to split it, season it and burn it any way. I have not bought a stove yet. But I need wood to put in it. I will probably wait until spring to look for a stove. I live in central Illinois. I live near some timber. My inlaws own property that we live near. I have access to ash, osage orange, cherry, honey locust, some hickory, and oak.

its basically rotting in the middle

That does not look like box elder to me but it is always hard to tell from pics. Acer Negundo, Maple family (genus), but not as hard a wood as most of the maples due to it's fast growing / weedy nature. This may still be heavy stuff when fresh or soaking wet but would not be if dry.

The Osage Orange may not be far off - just from memory of the bark - I have never seen it split.

Osage Orange, a.ka. Hedge, is bright yellow when split green. So bright, it nearly hurts your eyes! I guess that is to warn you of how hot it will burn in the stove!

Noslo65, where are you from? I noticed Central IL is your location, I'm in Washington.

Hey Noslo65! I live in Farmer City, IL - boostnut and I just found each other. This is great having more Illini on the board. What is it with us though that we all don't put the town we live in un-like most people on this board! :) I guess we are all paranoid Midwesterners! I have lots of guns and big rabid dogs so nobody even dare try to steal wood from my wood pile! :)

I'd say poplar. Just cut some last year and burned it.

Thats poplar. Osage is quite a bit different. Almost neon yellow when fresh and dark orange when seasoned.

I'll 2nd Poplar, does it have a smell to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.