Strange Midnight sounds in July from the Bradford Flowering Pear Tree? Mystery sounds identified!! T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

In the middle of the night we were awaken by ear piercing sounds coming from the Bradford Flowering Pear Tree about 20 feet from the house! It happened after a bad skunk smell earlier this evening!
I recorded them in the pitch dark on my camera phone.
What kind of Bird or Animal can make these sounds?

You can stream them to hear the sounds
Or
Right click and click save as to download

http://tinyurl.com/6f5xl3n

Does any one know these sounds?

Pic of tree below next morning and sounds are gone!

Attachments

• FloweringBradfordPearTreesc.jpg
    FloweringBradfordPearTreesc.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 363
XactLEE said:
I'd say catbird.

Hello XactLEE
You mean a cat stuck in the tree??

partridge

Attachments

• GrayCatBird.jpg
    GrayCatBird.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 336
Catbird was a good guess, but the give-away is the bird was repeating calls and also it was night. Your mystery bird is a mockingbird, without a doubt. They are one of the only song birds who will stay up at night and sing, and they will repeat parts of songs over and over, exactly like in your recordings. Look around during the day, mockingbirds aren't shy and they'll often find a high perch and sing for a long time.
That sight you posted is probably one of the best bird id sites, search for Northern Mockingbird on it and listen to the difference between it and the catbird.

kingston73 said:
Catbird was a good guess, but the give-away is the bird was repeating calls and also it was night. Your mystery bird is a mockingbird, without a doubt. They are one of the only song birds who will stay up at night and sing, and they will repeat parts of songs over and over, exactly like in your recordings. Look around during the day, mockingbirds aren't shy and they'll often find a high perch and sing for a long time.
That sight you posted is probably one of the best bird id sites, search for Northern Mockingbird on it and listen to the difference between it and the catbird.

Hello kingston

Yes, this bird was close to the top of the flowering Bradford Pear tree and at Midnight. Also it chirped for more than 1 hour!!
It was very, very loud. Also not hurried and no slurred sounds.

Monckingbird
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Mockingbird/sounds

Thanks, it is really tough but I think you are correct!

Attachments

• MockingBirdinBradfordPearTree.jpg
    MockingBirdinBradfordPearTree.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 310
Definately a mockingbird, the catbird makes a "joe-wheeeee" sound. Catbirds also have fewer songs. Mockingbirds can sound like several different birds in their calls.

Adios Pantalones said:
I think it was a "partridge in a pear tree" joke...

Yeah. I was figuring it was four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge.

That would account for the racket.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah. I was figuring it was four calling birds, three French hens, two turtle doves and a partridge.

That would account for the racket.

I went back and listened again, and I'm sure you're correct in this matter. Can I play that, "Yeah, well, we don't have calling birds, French hens, or turtle doves around here" card again, or is that excuse wearing thin?

hi don
i would say definitely mockingbird. that site was nice but the cat birds around here don't sound anything like the birds on that site. they sound like a cat that is a little raspy. i have had mockingbirds wake me up at 1:00 am they are very loud. not trying to kill it but the only way i've found to get rid of the noise is to throw a rock into the tree. it will move. or don't throw a rock and listen to it for a hour.

fbelec said:
hi don
i would say definitely mockingbird. that site was nice but the cat birds around here don't sound anything like the birds on that site. they sound like a cat that is a little raspy. i have had mockingbirds wake me up at 1:00 am they are very loud. not trying to kill it but the only way i've found to get rid of the noise is to throw a rock into the tree. it will move. or don't throw a rock and listen to it for a hour.

Yes, Frank it certainly must be a Mocking Bird! Well I also never had one until I planted that Bradford Flowering Pear tree!

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.